The last tram to _______

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
blackprince

Re: The last tram to _______

Post by blackprince »

Best of luck with that campaign Brunel.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leeds Civic Trust
NEW GUIDED WALK! 👟
Trains, trams and the underground: Lost and unrealised public transport in Leeds
Tuesday 11 June 11:00-12:30
This walk looks at the history of public transport in Leeds via a walk through the South bank of the city, viewing train, tram and underground locations, infrastructure and schemes that no longer exist or were never realised.
Tickets:
Leeds Civic Trust Members: £6
Non-Members: £8
MORE INFORMATION AND BOOK TICKETS: https://zurl.co/MYbs

jma

Post by jma »

This is yet another example of how time flies. I first did a walk like this in 1983 (ish) organised by the Open University. It's the basis of most of my contribution to the Eastgate subway thread.

In 1998 (ish) I attended a presentation at the opening of Brewery Wharf which included a boat trip along the water frontage with a very informative commentary by a member of Leeds Civic Trust.

A bit more recently I went to something about the developement of the Royal Armouries at Clarence Dock and the surrounding area

I see it's planned to last 90 minutes which isn't long to cover so much

The late Patrick Nuttgens was an expert here. He did an Open University series with a booklet which is now long out-of-print

Leeds: The Back to Front, Inside-out, Upside-down City (Stile Publications) (1979)

The article linked below covers some of this.

https://citymonitor.ai/transport/leeds- ... nties-4644

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

That's a great article, thanks for sharing it.

And no thanks to Civic Trust for putting on what sounds like a very interesting talk but scheduling it for 11am on a Tuesday! We're not all retired you know...

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

A photo of the last tram to Stanningley was added to Leodis in the last week. It was dated 1953.

Photo Reference ID: 20240318_140219
Last edited by blackprince on Sun 24 Mar, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

blackprince wrote:
Fri 22 Mar, 2024 7:32 pm
A photo of the last tram to Stanningley was added to Leodis in the last week. It was dated 1953.
To make it easier to find can you give the reference

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Photo ID: 20240318_140219

jma

Post by jma »

blackprince wrote:
Sun 24 Mar, 2024 8:47 pm
Photo ID: 20240318_140219
I seem to be too stupid to find this image by searching. Perhaps somebody could bring it up on the screen

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I tried that ID number in advanced search and got zero results found.