A query about what I know as the Monkbridge Viaduct.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

A query about what I know as the Monkbridge Viaduct.

Post by Leodian »

On March 14 2023 I went on the recently opened section on top of what I know as the Monkbridge Viaduct and started a thread about that on March 15. When I downloaded the photos I had taken there was one (added below) that I had not given any thought to when I took it but I do now as it confuses me. Taking that photo from what I thought was the top of Monkbridge Viaduct I should not have seen arches opposite. I now wonder if two viaducts joined into one in the immediate area or does only part of the walk on the top actually go over what is only one viaduct. I tried old maps to see if there were 2 viaducts that merged into 1 but with the maze of railway lines I could not tell. In the Historic England website it states of the site "Railway viaduct over River Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal" so implying there is only one viaduct but it does not give a name. I've seen mentions of 'Central Viaduct' so wonder if that is another name for what I know as the Monkbridge Viaduct. I went back to top walk yesterday (March 21) to check and the arches were as seen in the photo. Any help to lessen my confusion will be appreciated.
PS. What looks like a building being demolished on the right is actually one being built further along Whitehall Road.
ViaductArchesSeenFromMonkbridgeViaduct(Possibly)March142023..jpg
ViaductArchesSeenFromMonkbridgeViaduct(Possibly)March142023..jpg (154.91 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: A query about what I know as the Monkbridge Viaduct.

Post by buffaloskinner »

Take a look here, there were two bridges and viaducts, only one left now. Destroyed by new flats

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... 20west.htm
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Wed 22 Mar, 2023 11:26 pm
Take a look here, there were two bridges and viaducts, only one left now. Destroyed by new flats

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... 20west.htm
Many thanks buffaloskinner for that link :). If I've worked out the map correctly what I thought was the still mostly there Monkbridge Viaduct was in fact the one destroyed. It carried a joint N.E and G.N. What will therefore be the mostly still there Central Viaduct carried a joint L & N.W and L & Y, and separately a joint G.N L. & Y. and L & N.W. There are excellent photos in the link but I found that in the 'Leeds City New (c1980s) : David Hey' to be amazing.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian, isn’t this old viaduct going to be a ‘sky garden’ at some point with grass , plants/trees for people to walk along

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2023 1:08 pm
Hi Leodian, isn’t this old viaduct going to be a ‘sky garden’ at some point with grass , plants/trees for people to walk along
Hi Jann :). That is what I understand is hoped will happen. Currently a short bit has been made into a garden/rest area as noted in the 'Redevelopment of the Monk Bridge Viaduct' thread that I started on March 15 2023. That bit though ends at an high entry/exit to 'The Junction' apartments block where the Monkbridge Viaduct would have continued, so any future garden/rest area will be over the remaining arches of what I now know is the Central Viaduct not Monkbridge Viaduct that I thought it was.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi again Leodian, thanks for the update about the’sky garden’ I’ll only see it if a friend drives me over there as I’ve poor walking mobility now , so will keep a lookout for photos.Am very familiar with Holbeck having lived there in the 1950s to 1960s moving away because of the slum clearance in 1960s , Thad once again for your photos of what’s happening around Leeds these days

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2023 2:35 pm
Hi again Leodian, thanks for the update about the’sky garden’ I’ll only see it if a friend drives me over there as I’ve poor walking mobility now , so will keep a lookout for photos.Am very familiar with Holbeck having lived there in the 1950s to 1960s moving away because of the slum clearance in 1960s , Thad once again for your photos of what’s happening around Leeds these days
Hi Jann. Thanks for your kind words which are appreciated. :)

Jann

Post by Jann »

Your welcome Leodian for the‘thank you’ from myself, will keep a lookout for your next photos on Secret Leeds!