Leeds to Glasgow trains Mid 60s

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BillyMorris

Leeds to Glasgow trains Mid 60s

Post by BillyMorris »

Is it correct that trains between Leeds and Glasgow left/arrived at Leeds Central station and used the line passing through Harrogate? I'd always been told they went from Central station on the line through Kirkstall, Newlay, Apperley Bridge and that there was a sign before Apperley Bridge marking the midpoint between London and Glasgow- 200 miles to each. The supports for the sign are apparently still visible across the canal from the railway. That can't be correct if trains went through Harrogate?>

tilly

Re: Leeds to Glasgow trains Mid 60s

Post by tilly »

I know there is a sign at the entrance to the old Kirkstal Forge saying two hundred miles Edinburgh two hundred to London i am sure i read this mileage is incorrect.

is a sign on the entrance to the old Kirkstal forge
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

There were (and still are) two routes to Glasgow. In steam days you could get on a train at Leeds City (in the now defunct part where the car park is now) and travel via Skipton and Carlisle. There was route via Harrogate, Ripon, Newcastle, and Edinburgh from the old Central Station on Wellington Street, and a similar route, but via York instead of via Harogate and Ripon from the present station. Some services needed a change of trains en route.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The Queen of Scots service shown in this timetable from 1962 did just that: https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer.p ... 9cb6280ade.