Upgrading work on the Regent Street flyover.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Upgrading work on the Regent Street flyover.

Post by Leodian »

Some major upgrading work has been going on for some while at the Regent Street flyover. I went to the site on June 8 2021 hoping to take some photos of what was going on but it was very hard to get into good positions to do so. I have however attached 3 photos that I took.

The first was from beside Regent Street holding my camera at the mesh of security fencing. A street name sign 'Mabgate' is on the remains of a wall just right of centre of the photo. The second is a view from on Regent Street. The third is also from Regent Street but does show some of what is in the first photo. The tall buildings in the third photo are under construction at the Quarry Hill development.
WorkOnRegentStFlyoverMabgateEndLeedsJune082021..jpg
WorkOnRegentStFlyoverMabgateEndLeedsJune082021..jpg (250.56 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
WorkAtRegentStreetFlyoverLeedsJune082021(1)..jpg
WorkAtRegentStreetFlyoverLeedsJune082021(1)..jpg (245.87 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
WorkAtRegentStreetFlyoverLeedsJune082021(2)..jpg
WorkAtRegentStreetFlyoverLeedsJune082021(2)..jpg (207.81 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
Ooops! Apologies for the very large photos. The image size reducing software that I've long used seems to have thrown a tantrum but I decided to leave them as they are.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: Upgrading work on the Regent Street flyover.

Post by Leodian »

The work on the flyover is expected to complete in Spring 2022. The southern section of the bridge has already been demolished and rebuilt. The northern section was demolished earlier this year (2021) and rebuilding of that continues. Work on its bridge beam installation is expected to start today (Nov 21 2021).
I've not been to the site for a while so I went on November 19 2021. It's still difficult to get good shots of the work but to at least give some idea of what's happening I've attached 3 photos I took from near where New York Road joins Regent Street. I hope they are of interest.
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(1)..jpg
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(1)..jpg (113.43 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(2)..jpg
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(2)..jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(3)..jpg
RegentStreetFlyoverFromByNewYorkRoadNov192021(3)..jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for the photographs Leodian this and other works in the city have been causing havoc for months the sooner they are finished the better.I do think they plan to discourage most cars in the city center, with all the flats they are building i think they want to cater for the people who can afford the rents in the center of the city.Am i getting grumpy or could i be near the truth time will tell.I will not broach the subject of market but to me this adds strength to my thoughts.Rose tinted glasses or what.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Tilly! Yes I agree about the fact cars are discouraged from city centres these days ,parking prices are expensive.My friend who lives off dewsbury road has a car but gets bus to town and if she’s got shopping bags will get a taxi home -cheaper than paying to park a car.All the flats in the town centre are so expensive to rent,I think areas of Leeds should have had housing improvements done first,

tilly

Post by tilly »

My thoughts Leodian but money talks and its been doing a lot of talking in Leeds for many years now.

jma

Post by jma »

I got caught up in this on Christmas Day. The illuminated information signs around the city had been warning about road works on Regent Street exhorting "Plan your journey." That's Ok till you need to make an unplanned journey. I have quite a posh satnav which is generally updated to deal with temporary problems. I input the postcode but soon realised that the satnav didn't know about the works on Duke Street by the bus station. I followed the signed diversion, with the satnav and a passenger believing it, urging me to turn back, but that's not easy with unilluminated temporary diversion signs in the dark. Along Beckett Street, Lincoln Green Road and Bingo! there we were approaching Eastgate roundabout from the other direction. With a bit more time to think I'd have gone on Bridge Street, but the satnav etc were saying Eastgate and I didn't have time to read the temporary signs. Once committed to Eastgate it was a nightmare because Vicar Lane and New Briggate were closed by roadworks.

I always try to comply with regulations. If I am asked to drop somebody off etc, I plan and double plan with streetview to get it right. It certainly spoiled my Christmas and I've spent the last month expecting a bus gate ticket, which hasn't arrived.

A couple of days ago, I saw this:

Leeds Vicar Lane bus gate: Council repays thousands of fines
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-60125266
The main point here is that Lady Lane has been the accepted route for drivers on Vicar Lane to comply with the bus gate since it was created. To change it so that the only legal route is via Harrison Street, which looks like the entrance to private premises needs extra big clear signs till everybody gets used to it. That didn't happen which is why 11,159 fixed penalties were issued in six weeks and are all being repaid.

All I'm hoping is that despite my fears, I didn't get it wrong. I hope that it's not a matter of Cllr Helen Hayden having to sign a lot of "I beg your pardon" letters and when that's done, the Council will get round to sending me a ticket.

On the matter of going into Leeds, my preference is always the bus: let somebody else's ticker take the strain and free bus travel is attractive to a cheapskate like me, but when we came here in 1975, the buses were dependable and every fifteen minutes at least. Every half hour now, and subject to delays in traffic etc. Internet shopping for me these days. No need then to work out how to use a phone to pay an arm and a leg for parking

tilly

Post by tilly »

To me the road works in the town center have been very badly planned if planed at all, starting road works all over the place is not a good idea. I like you have a bus pass but dont go into town that often, a few weeks ago i had to take someone to Jimmys a twenty minuet trip took an hour the ring road was closed so i had to go through the city center thats where the fun started if you could call it fun.Leeds has changed so much i dont know my way around so Leeds by car is a no no i cant stop progress but it stops me.

jma

Post by jma »

I wanted an address in the city centre and had to go via Beckett Street. You wanted Jimmy's and had to go via the city centre. It sounds as though there's a big plan. Somewhere.

tilly

Post by tilly »

HI jma my drive from Pudsey takes me down Armley Road then on the ring road come off after you go under North Street it normally takes about twenty minuets.There was a diversion after the old Yorkshire Post Building this took me past the Town Hall i should have gone up Cookridge Street but turned and passed LGI i was in heavy traffic all the time road works outside LGI i finished up near the university still in traffic some how i finished up on the ring road going the other way and back to the old Yorkshire Post building i took a left along Wellington Road back up to the Town Hall and this time up Cookridge Street then down North Street Roundhay Road to Regent Street then left up to Beckett Street i will know next time.The trouble is you get used to one way any diversion in bad traffic and this is what happens or it did to me.

jma

Post by jma »

Tilly

Have I got news for you! If you haven't already seen it, the next big scheme is to reduce traffic in City Square by "improving" Armley Gyratory.

Armley Gyratory plan critical for Leeds city centre

The main thing for your journey down Armley Road is
The new Canal Street stop line will increase from two to five lanes, while the A647 approach will be widened, removing the left free flow turn and providing five signal-controlled lanes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-59900167

And before that, a couple of years of cones and barriers. As so effectively photographed by Leodian elsewhere in the city.