Tale from a 1959 BR Fireman working the down Yorkshire Pullman

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
dogduke

Tale from a 1959 BR Fireman working the down Yorkshire Pullman

Post by dogduke »

As a Fireman in 1959 I worked this job a few times. First stop Doncaster where the Steward from the train would bring us up a Pot of Coffee. Next stop Wakefield, where the Steward would come and collect his Pot. Next stop Leeds where we got relieved, straight into the station buffet for a couple of pints to wash the coal dust from our mouths. It's then up the road to the Chippie for our fish & chip supper, we'd eat that as we walked to Farnley Depot where our lodge was, a hostel slap bang in the middle of the depot triangle, for a nights sleep. The up side of those couple of pints we had back at the station was that they'd help us sleep through the clanking of steam engines running around the triangle all night! Next morning, following a breakfast of whatever we'd brought with us, no catering staff there, we'd walk to Copley Hill depot to pick up our engine from the previous day and work another express from Leeds to London. There you go, two days (plus around 9 tons of coal) in the life of a Fireman at Top Shed in the Summer of 1959. The two engines that covered that job that Summer were 60103 and 60062.

As posted on Facebook by John Morgan
Last edited by dogduke on Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Re: Tale from a 158 BR Furenan

Post by dogduke »

Heading should read
Tale of a 1959 BR fireman working the down Yorkshire Pullman
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote:
Mon 11 Jan, 2021 4:58 pm
Heading should read
Tale of a 1959 BR fireman working the down Yorkshire Pullman
Hiya dogduke :).
I have been able in the past to alter the heading of threads I started. In the board index click on the title of your thread to bring up the thread. Then use the edit button. In the subject line change that to what you need. Check review and if OK then submit and check the title has been changed. I hope this makes sense!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I had originally copied and pasted and saved as a draft which I could not alter, got fed up and just added it in a reply
Thanks for the tip tho

dogduke

Re: Tale from a 1959 BR Fireman working the down Yorkshire Pullman

Post by dogduke »

Done it now

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I am surprised that the loco crew walked from Copley Hill to their hostel in Farnley at the end of a long hard working day. As a young train spotter aged about 12- 14 I often used to walk from Bramley to Farnley shed, then on to Copley Hill and Holbeck shed and Central station before getting the bus back home, but I hadn't shovelled 5 tons of coal before the walk.
For the benefit of non-train spotters "Top Shed" was the main BR Eastern Region shed at Kings Cross, and loco No 60103 was Flying Scotsman.
This is a short video of Top Shed in 1959.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=s9yWgDlkUtg
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi dogduke a great story thanks for your input stay safe .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

blackprince wrote:
Tue 12 Jan, 2021 12:12 am
I am surprised that the loco crew walked from Copley Hill to their hostel in Farnley at the end of a long hard working day. As a young train spotter aged about 12- 14 I often used to walk from Bramley to Farnley shed, then on to Copley Hill and Holbeck shed and Central station before getting the bus back home, but I hadn't shovelled 5 tons of coal before the walk.
For the benefit of non-train spotters "Top Shed" was the main BR Eastern Region shed at Kings Cross, and loco No 60103 was Flying Scotsman.
The walk was from Leeds Central to Farnley and Farnley toCopley Hill.
When I first came into contact with train crew diagrams around 1970 there was a lot that involved a walk.Leeds city to Neville Hill, Leeds to Holbeck etc.
Times changed as did society it was becoming less safe at night and in the passenger guards grade women were being employed.The maximum shift was 8 hours prior to flexible rostering.
There are probably members on here with better knowledge and memory but that I think id the basics

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote:
Wed 13 Jan, 2021 2:50 am
blackprince wrote:
Tue 12 Jan, 2021 12:12 am
The walk was from Leeds Central to Farnley and Farnley toCopley Hill.
When I first came into contact with train crew diagrams around 1970 there was a lot that involved a walk.Leeds city to Neville Hill, Leeds to Holbeck etc.
Times changed as did society it was becoming less safe at night and in the passenger guards grade women were being employed.The maximum shift was 8 hours prior to flexible rostering.
There are probably members on here with better knowledge and memory but that I think id the basics
An even longer walk, Dogduke. I hope they got a shoe leather allowance or took the opportunity to hop on a bus sometimes!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!