Can you help identify this location?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jma

Re: Can you help identify this location?

Post by jma »

Brunel wrote:
Fri 04 Dec, 2020 6:34 pm
On a Keith Terry tour.
That went straight over my head. :oops:

I presume my link to the Leodis image confirms the the route 12 Parkside went to the Hunslet RLFC ground. Uncle Mick's link shows that the tram in the original terminus image was somewhere off Elland Road - Fullerton Park. It seems strange that trams would run between those destinations. Only from what I've read, I believe there was once a sort of trams' graveyard on Lowfields Road. Was this tram destined for the great tram shed in the sky?

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hi JMA, you are correct about the No.12 tram being the route to Parkside. The No.12 normally ran from Swinegate to Middleton via Dewsbury Road / Moor Road but when Hunslet Rugby were playing at home there were some short workings as far as the ground at Parkside.
With regards to Keith Terry, Keith was responsible, along with Brian Parkin, Jim Soper and others, for arranging trips to visit tram networks all over the country, usually renting a tram for the day to vist and record for posterity all the remaining routes as they were curtailed during the late 50,s early 60's. Us transport enthusiasts are indebted to these fine gentlemen for the amount of time and effort they put in.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Parts of this spare land shown on the picture was turned into a car park on match days before the Council purchased the houses at the bottom of Wesley St, (The Hoxton's and the Canonbury's) which again only used on match days. The day's when you could drive into the ground were long gone. Only people employed and players were allowed to park in there, I am sure that the Stand shown on the picture was not the same as the one that burned down in the 1950s i used to have a picture of John Charles leading his team out through the burnt out ruins. (they sold Big John to help finance the new one). as far as i remember Harry Reynolds Steel firm built the replacement. they also bought a Stand from Huddersfield Town F.C. Think that became the Lowfields Road Stand.
P.s. Harry Reynolds (leeds born) whilst on the board did great thing alongside Revie.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 07 Dec, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jma

Post by jma »

MiggyBill

Thanks for that explanation.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

volvojack wrote:
Sat 05 Dec, 2020 4:48 pm
Parts of this spare land shown on thepicture was turned into a car park on match days before the Council purchased the houses at the bottom of Wesley St, (The Hoxton's and the Canonbury's) which again only used on match days. The day's when you could drive into the ground were long gone. Only people and players were allowed to park in there, I am sure that the Stand shown on the picture was not the same as the one that burned down in the 1950s i used to have a picture of John Charles leading his team out through the burnt out ruins. (they sold Big John to help finance the new one). as far as i remember Harry Reynolds Steel firm built the replacement. they also bought a Stand from Huddersfield Town F.C. Think that became the Lowfields Road Stand.
P.s. Harry Reynolds (leeds born) whilst on the board did great thing alongside Revie.
My late father worked for Harry Reynolds from 1948 to 1986 although he had relinquished the company by the late fifties and my father recalls him being a taciturn sort of a chap fond of saying things like "Ey lad what rates thy on?" "Five bob an hour right tha's on five and six pence lets have some work out of thee"

Parkie

Post by Parkie »

uncle mick wrote:
Fri 04 Dec, 2020 4:04 pm
I found the photos on Old Time Speedway on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtime ... 520757615/
Your still a genius Mick.

Parkie

Post by Parkie »

jma wrote:
Sat 05 Dec, 2020 10:32 am
Brunel wrote:
Fri 04 Dec, 2020 6:34 pm
On a Keith Terry tour.
I believe there was once a sort of trams' graveyard on Lowfields Road. Was this tram destined for the great tram shed in the sky?
Opposite Parkside Rugby ground there was and remained for years (may still be there now) a scrapyard. A couple of trams sat in that yard for years. They were progressively vandalised, before getting burnt out

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hi Parkie, I remember those trams very well, see my pics on
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61182351@ ... ed-public/

DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Would this photo of tram 273 provide more support for the "tour" idea ?
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the 1940s my Brother and i used to catch a Tram at South Farm Road Gipton to go to School, it went down York Road and we would alight (Gerrof) at The Hope Inn. Sometimes one sort of Tram had an open front and open back upstairs which had a door to separate this from the main body. I think it was curved and in cold weather only children like us and some who did not smoke.
We were very disappointed on finding the other types of Tram to ride in.
Is it possible that someone has a picture of this type. Thankyou.