A tram track exposed on Vicar Lane (Jan 28 2016).

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

A tram track exposed on Vicar Lane (Jan 28 2016).

Post by Leodian »

Work is currently going on at Vicar Lane in connection with the Victoria Gate development. Passing on Vicar Lane today (Jan 28 2016) I noticed that a very short length of a tram track had been exposed near to the Victoria Quarter. OK, it's not the greatest of photos but I thought it may be of interest as the last trams to run in Leeds were (if I recall correctly) in 1959, so the track will be at least that old (likely much older). Perhaps more track may get exposed as work goes on.
A short bit of an old tram track exposed on Vicar Lane (Leeds) on Jan 28 2016.
A short bit of an old tram track exposed on Vicar Lane (Leeds) on Jan 28 2016.
697R.jpg (145.37 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: A tram track exposed on Vicar Lane (Jan 28 2016).

Post by Leodian »

Passing by on February 11 2016 I noticed that the work on Vicar Lane is progressing and that more of the tram track was now exposed with some being removed. I did not take photos of the work from some better angles due to safety concerns of closely passing traffic and I could not take some due to the Sun then in the camera view! These are however 3 of the photos I took that give an idea of what was seen. The first is looking along Vicar Lane towards The Headrow, the second is a general view of the work and the third is a zoomed-in view showing some of the old tram track rails (I saw the longer exposed rail being cut just before I was able to take photos).
Looking along Vicar Lane to The Headrow (taken Feb 11 2016).
Looking along Vicar Lane to The Headrow (taken Feb 11 2016).
708R.jpg (125.2 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
General view on Vicar Lane (taken Feb 11 2016).
General view on Vicar Lane (taken Feb 11 2016).
717R.jpg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Zoomed-in view showing the old tram track rails (taken Feb 11 2016).
Zoomed-in view showing the old tram track rails (taken Feb 11 2016).
718R.jpg (125.97 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
PS. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos but I had to take them squeezing my camera (and my hands) through security fence mesh and then hoping for the best when I pressed the shutter!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Great photographs Leodian good that you got them before the tracks had gone for good. :)
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:Great photographs Leodian good that you got them before the tracks had gone for good. :)
Thanks tilly :).

It was a bit sad to see some of the history of Leeds being removed. I did speak to a few people who had stopped to see what was going on and those who did not know of the tram tracks did seem interested.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

tilly wrote:Great photographs Leodian good that you got them before the tracks had gone for good. :)
Seconded. Had you not admitted to struggling to take the pictures I'd have been non the wiser quality wise.

Slightly OT but does anyone know precisely what's going on. Metro in publicising the re-routing of northbound services are billing it as for Victoriagate but I would have thought the southbound (eastern side) would be more impacted. Or is that next? I seem to remember the original plans were for Eastgate to pedestrianised which possibly meant Georoe Street being reversed or made two way.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There'll be nowt left for Time Team then
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Seconded. Had you not admitted to struggling to take the pictures I'd have been non the wiser quality wise.

Slightly OT but does anyone know precisely what's going on. Metro in publicising the re-routing of northbound services are billing it as for Victoriagate but I would have thought the southbound (eastern side) would be more impacted. Or is that next? I seem to remember the original plans were for Eastgate to pedestrianised which possibly meant Georoe Street being reversed or made two way.
I understand that the east , southbound side, is indeed next when work on the present half is completed. Pedestrianisation to a sensible extent is OK, but the planners are not going to be satisfied until the only way of accessing the city centre in a vehicle will be by slim bicycle. :( :( Victor Medrew, Headingley
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.