BRIAN PARKIN

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Brunel

BRIAN PARKIN

Post by Brunel »

New bus, old colours.

Named after Brian Parkin who recently passed away, he was the editor of Metro News, and former chairman of the LEEDS TRANSPORT HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Attachments
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG (93.03 KiB) Viewed 6793 times

BLAKEY

Re: BRIAN PARKIN

Post by BLAKEY »

What a magnificent sight compared with the dismal meaningless white lilac and purple of the "First" livery of today, It is indeed a fitting tribute to Brian, whose incredible attention for over sixty years to the minutest detail and accuracy of Transport current affairs and history has left a wonderful archive for the City and the area - as have the other leading members of the Leeds Transport Historical Society like Jim Soper whose six beautiful volumes on the subject are a joy to read. While out on my motorbike this afternoon I felt a warm glow of "deja vu" when the bus hove into sight in Otley Old Road on its way to Holt Park on service 6.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Never knew Brian Parkin, but i am a regular visitor to the Excelent Leeds Transport Historical Society web site . To follow the renovation of horse tram 107. A Society very passionate about leeds transport history . It must be a great loss of a former chairman.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Brunel for the information on Brian Parkin. I saw the bus when I was in the centre of Leeds last Thursday and had wondered who Brian Parkin was.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

A couple of current Leeds buses are to be painted in heritage liveries and this was the first

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Just read this thread earlier then popped out for lunch and immediately saw one of these buses driving down the A65, which was a coincidence! I'd have been very confused if I hadn't seen this first :) There's a great shot of a YR bus with this livery at the start of the TV series This Is England '86, from about 9mins in. Warning - contains strong language and adult behaviour from the beginning! https://vimeo.com/63371101
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

trophy

Post by trophy »

halifax and huddersfield have buses in the old colours .the halifax one is named geoffrey hilditch a former manager.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I hope the Bradford one is J Stanley King
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

There could be no more fitting tribute to the sadly missed wonderful historian Stanley - I'm sure he would be very pleased, providing the tribute wasn't riding about on one of his "favourite" Mark V Regents !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

PARKIN@ THE PARK:
Attachments
PARKIN AT THE PARK-S.jpg
PARKIN AT THE PARK-S.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6119 times