A New Site for Leeds Bradford Airport.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Church Fenton would be my choiceI worked on LBA during the 80's and 90's either it was going to rain or it was raining awful place and always blowing a galeThen there's the complaints from the folk who live around it even though most of them have moved there knowing there was going to be noise from the aircraftChurch Fenton has a rail link and it would not take much to put in link road and all around it    
life is not a dress rehearsal

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

It will NEVER happen! Too much money has already been invested into LBA and the idea of getting rid of it now to replace with a brand new airport will upset far too many people. Although I can see the benefits of having a better located airport with more runways that could rival Manchester. Plus moving an airport over to Church Fenton for access from motorways doesnt seem much better than staying on the motorway to get to Manchester. As far as many Bradford residents are concerned it would make travelling to this alternate airport no better really than travelling to Manchester anyway. Indeed would it even be relevant to call the place 'Leeds and Bradford Airport' if it lay quite a distance outside of Bradford city's metropolitan district? Might as well call it 'Selby Airport'... Heh heh! Welcome to 'Sunny Selby'..!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jonleeds wrote: Indeed would it even be relevant to call the place 'Leeds and Bradford Airport' if it lay quite a distance outside of Bradford city's metropolitan district? Might as well call it 'Selby Airport'... Heh heh! Welcome to 'Sunny Selby'..! While the LBA designation would probably remain Bradford would almost certainly be dropped from the title anyway. The airport was sold by Leeds and Bradford councils and is now in private hands not needing to maintain a legacy of council ownership. I agree about Bradford residents but the positioning of Humberside, Robin Hood and Leeds Bradford already makes Manchester a better prospect for residents close to the M62 as far as Glasshoughton. Residents from Chainbar to Goole would have a nearer alternative if Church Fenton on nearby was utilised
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

People like international airports to be named after the city it's in but they actually serve a region. I doubt Bradford would get a look in. Leeds North of England International would do. Most important though is where the flights go and how often, not th travel time from Idle. I hate LBA.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Cardiarms wrote: People like international airports to be named after the city it's in but they actually serve a region. I doubt Bradford would get a look in. Leeds North of England International would do. Most important though is where the flights go and how often, not th travel time from Idle. I hate LBA. Hi Cardiarms I must say i like LBA its easy to get to for me, Manchester on the other hand is a pain getting there at times on the M62 what with road works and traffic jams but thats just me.I have used LBA quite a lot over the years with no problems. Has for the weather problems dont most of the airports suffer in the same way i have gone away at christmas over the last eight or nine years and have only been held up once.The choice of were you want to travel to gets better year by year Has for aircraft noise you would get that where ever the airport is sited unless it was in the middle of the dales i could be the odd one out but thats just how i feel about LBA.People i have spoken to from other areas dont seem to find it a problem getting there but then there might be others who do.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

tilly

Post by tilly »

Cardiarms wrote: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6404971 Hi Cardiarms To me its swings and roundabouts if they move the airport and put in better roads wont they finish up like the M62 in a few years time. The roads cant keep pace with the increase in traffic,we will have to see what they come up with but i dont think it will effect me i should think i will be long gone by that time.The only wings i will need will be on my back.LOL

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

If LCC are involved I'm sure it'll take a long time and the runway will be too short.

Igor Belanov

Post by Igor Belanov »

This is surely a bit of a pointless exercise? Leeds has an airport, whatever its faults, and for flights that are unavailable from LBA Manchester is a perfectly viable alternative. The financial and environmental costs of new airports are big, and Church Fenton is hardly 'Leeds' and a suitable subject for civic pride.Plus, the last time I went through Church Fenton the village was awash with posters protesting against HS2, so they would hardly be likely to welcome an international airport at the edge of the village.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Cardiarms wrote: If LCC are involved I'm sure it'll take a long time and the runway will be too short. That made me laugh.