Buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Some nice old stories on this thread.........have enjoyed reading 'em.Thank you.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Hello again Amber and compliments of the Season to you Fancy you passing your test from being a conductor on 380, and I passed my recruitment test on it nine years later by which time it was permanently number 12 in the Driving School, all the other 59 having gone.I envy you having driven a Crossley - just for the experience that is - and I've read and heard that anywhere other than on the flat they were horse work !! Even though there were only twenty at Leeds, plus one they got for trials in 1947 and kept, they were very popular and reliable elsewhere.The only place I ever worked where ALL the buses were safely parked inside at night was when I was a conductor at the grand little West Yorkshire depot at Ilkley, allocation fourteen or fifteen vehicles. On exactly the site now is Wetherspoon's with some pictures of the old depot on the walls. I enjoyed all my career "on the buses" (and coaches) but that time at Ilkley with WYRCC was among the happiest. My favourite route was the 76 from Skipton to Tadcaster via Ilkley, Otley, Harrogate, Wetherby and Boston Spa - five hours the round trip. It was very busy indeed believe it or not, but fancy getting paid for such glorious scenery - I used to swap frequently for it with an elderly lady, Miriam Graham, who detested it and preferred the rough and tumble of the number 12 from Ilkley to Haworth via Keighley. I remember her as a guard on the railways when I was a kid in the War and they say that she was on the West Yorkshire for quite a while before they could get her to ring the bell instead of blowing her whistle and waving her green flag at bus stops !!        
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

waltodav

Re: Buses

Post by waltodav »

Without spending much money, in fact nothing at all you might like to join LEEDS CITY TRAMWAYS AND TRANSPORT on Facebook. We have well over 1100 images on there nearly all of the photos as far as I am aware are not covered by copyright law. Or to put it another way you are unlikely to be sued for breach of what is a silly law when it come down to images of forms of transport.
Last edited by waltodav on Sat 20 Feb, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waltodav

Post by waltodav »

Yes we have lots of photographs of old Leeds City Transport buses and trams on the facebook page LEEDS CITY TRAMWAYS AND TRANSPORT including a Drivers Training Manual, Drivers Handbook and Depot Allocation Lists and ots of stuff about old Leeds buses and trams. Join today, it costs nothing.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I see a post from BLAKEY at the top of the page does anybody know how he is, the last time i saw him i was with Jim and we picked him up to go to the last S.L meeting at the Adelphi pub just off Leeds Bridge.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.