Tram Lines Revealed

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Dunno about the one on Scotthall Road, but there's certainly the one up the middle of York Road, past Killingbeck and through past the Shaftesbury.    Same sort of deal as the Scotthall one I think, buses with little guide wheels bouce along between raised kerbs. Not sure why it's better than a bus lane, but there you go.It's really interesting to see all these old bits of tram line dug up, can't believe all those photos of the trams getting burnt out. What were people thinking?Still, now the PM has said we need less funding (YEP last night), I suppose we're lucky to have some buses, let alone owt as fancy as trams and the like. Nowt like joined up Government, and this lot is nowt like it. Anyway, political rant over!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

liits wrote: Sorry to revive an old thread and with something that may be a bit off-topic but…Some years ago, was the “Guided Bus” track trialled on Scott Hall Road? I seem to recall all the road works when it was being but in but there’s no sign of it now. What happened? Hi liits,I think that there is still a stretch of guided bus route from the 'Park & Ride' car park, outside Allerton High School, on King Lane, to the roundabout at the junction with the Ring Road, near to the Moor Allerton Shopping Centre.Ian.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

tyke bhoy wrote: From memory the first stretch of guided bus lane was about 200 yards long and was cut into the playing field on the left approaching northbound the Roundabout where PotterNewton Lane crosses Scott Hall Road. In the mid 90s approximately they then added a section in the central reservation between that roundabout and at beyond the roundabout where Stainbeck Lane crosses. My memory is vague as to whether it extended in the central reservation beyond the Stainbeck lane roundabout as far as Stainbeck Road or beyond and I think this was South(town)bound.Is this where you remember? I can't say for sure as I have not been up there in the last 5 years or so but I wouldn't imagine they been removed. They also still appear to be there on Google Earth. Is there anybody more regularly up and down Scott Hall Road than a London and Wakefield dweller who can say they have been removed or not? They were there this lunchtime !Not actually seen a guided bus on the sections for quite a while though. Not that that's owt to go on. There never seemed to be many outside rush hours anyway.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Bramley4woods wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: From memory the first stretch of guided bus lane was about 200 yards long and was cut into the playing field on the left approaching northbound the Roundabout where PotterNewton Lane crosses Scott Hall Road. In the mid 90s approximately they then added a section in the central reservation between that roundabout and at beyond the roundabout where Stainbeck Lane crosses. My memory is vague as to whether it extended in the central reservation beyond the Stainbeck lane roundabout as far as Stainbeck Road or beyond and I think this was South(town)bound.Is this where you remember? I can't say for sure as I have not been up there in the last 5 years or so but I wouldn't imagine they been removed. They also still appear to be there on Google Earth. Is there anybody more regularly up and down Scott Hall Road than a London and Wakefield dweller who can say they have been removed or not? They were there this lunchtime !Not actually seen a guided bus on the sections for quite a while though. Not that that's owt to go on. There never seemed to be many outside rush hours anyway. Not quite sure what you mean, the guided bus is the only way into the city centre from the Scott Hall Road / Stainbeck Road cross road to the Scott Hall Road / Potternewton Lane roundabout. After that the bus just continues on the normal road into Leeds.

barnie

Post by barnie »

Walked along Cookridge Road last Friday, just outside the cathedral. Looked like it was being dug up for a new cycle lane. Nice tram lines revealed on road. Always been curious about a metal strip that used to go across the road from the cathedral too? Not sure if that's still there now.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

barnie wrote: Walked along Cookridge Road last Friday, just outside the cathedral. Looked like it was being dug up for a new cycle lane. Nice tram lines revealed on road. Always been curious about a metal strip that used to go across the road from the cathedral too? Not sure if that's still there now.     Hi barnie. I assume you mean Cookridge Street but have accidentally typed Cookridge Road. I noticed the start of the works on the cycle lane quite recently and it did not take long to finish. It would have been interesting to have seen the tram lines but I've only crossed at The Headrow end recently where there did not seem to have been any digging up.As Cookridge Street is planned to be part of the trolley bus route it seems as if the powers that be may have already started some related work.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

barnie

Post by barnie »

Hi Leodian, You are right, it was Cookridge Street. I think I was so excited at finding some tram lines that I got things mixed up! Like you say, all covered up now, including the metal strip that went across the road. Wish I'd taken a picture now!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Roundhay Road adj. Gathorne Terr.
Attachments
OLD TRAM LINES-1.jpg
OLD TRAM LINES-1.jpg (606.52 KiB) Viewed 2333 times