Tram Lines Revealed

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

jf wrote: I'll go for Stanningley Road, more precisely the gap in the reservation at the end of Moorfield Road, as it looks like the bit of rail you can see there. I drive over it quite often, a bumpy ride. You've got it jf.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jf

Post by jf »

Perhaps supertram could be delivered at a lower cost if they just stripped off the tarmac and dug out a few reservations! Unfortunately I don't think West Leeds is part of the planned network, not having the political clout of headingley types.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

"Supertram" hit the buffers some time ago,jf - its not going to happen anywhere in Leeds.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jf

Post by jf »

I'm aware of that - it's super trolleybus now! Not sure I see the point myself, but then the new buses on the No.4 route aren't bad - bringing back conductors has been a good idea for speeding up the service (though I bet they have a ridiculous title like 'customer service champions').They should spend the money on requadrupling (is that a word?) the Leeds-Bradford line (via Pudsey Greenside) and run an intensive tram-style service on the two replaced lines with new stations in Wortley, Armley, Stanningley etc. Almost achievable apart from the fact planning let someone build over the alignment at Armley Station recently, plus the cost of putting the Pudsey loop back together and somehow getting the alignment back into Leeds might be prohibitive (I'm sure something could be worked out using the Central Station viaduct, diving underground shortly afterwards to the disused underground station below Park Square, along the circus animal's tunnel towards the Town Hall, then from there using the secret tunnel towards the mines at Temple Newsam, back on to a quadrupled Leeds-York line as far as Cross Gates, then off the Wetherby :-) ).

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

There is a disused underground station near Park Square? Chuff me really? All this subteraenea stuff is really exiting.I always advocated draining the canals from city centre to the suburbs and introducing a light rail system into a station at Granary Wharf area. The drainage issue would have been a problem but not insurmountable.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Reginal Perrin wrote: There is a disused underground station near Park Square? Chuff me really? All this subteraenea stuff is really exiting.I always advocated draining the canals from city centre to the suburbs and introducing a light rail system into a station at Granary Wharf area. The drainage issue would have been a problem but not insurmountable. I don't think thee is anything in Park Square, I think the last post wasa bit tounge in cheek. There was however an air raid shelter in Park Square that was there for ages after, I think it was used as a blood donor centre or something.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

If you really want to see the Leeds tram system revealed go to The Leeds Model Railway Society's annual exhibition at Leeds Grammar School ( Alwoodley Gates ) on 27 and 28 of this month .A scale model some 48 feet in length includes a detailed model of Headingley tram depot and the surrounding buildings . Two well-known pubs " The Woodman " ( as it then was ) and the " Three Horse Shoes " are shown .
roundhegian

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

OOh. Take the camera along for this one i think..cheers!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Phill_d wrote: OOh. Take the camera along for this one i think..cheers! A taster ! A photograph I found in a modeller's magazine .
Attachments
__TFMF_vadzvl55kesuni3pbcknp1jd_d2a9f696-653e-4f35-b7c5-345ef09d861a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vadzvl55kesuni3pbcknp1jd_d2a9f696-653e-4f35-b7c5-345ef09d861a_0_main.jpg (542.29 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
roundhegian

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Phill_d wrote: OOh. Take the camera along for this one i think..cheers! Why not visit the stand of the Leeds Transport Historical Society .There will be a great deal of information on the stand about the history of the city's trams and buses .
roundhegian