Comings and goings at Leeds Bradford airport yesterday

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
simonash

Post by simonash »

TABBYCAT wrote: simonash wrote: kango wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Keg wrote: You are right Ravey, I think they were based on Meanwood road and it was called something like "Skyviews & General". I don't think I have got that right but it's somewhere near. Skyviews may be correct here's a street view of skyviews http://goo.gl/maps/hfDP0 at Rothwell Haigh I used to work for Skyview and General who were based at Barkston house on Domestic street, they then moved to Meanwood road in the late 70's into this building..http://goo.gl/maps/wkztuAs far as I can recall they ceased operations sometime near the year 2000 , the site below seems to confirm it.http://www.companieslist.co.uk/00634793 ... limitedThe firm at Rothwell is not related(to the best of My knowledge) to the original family owned one on Meanwood rd.Kango.                 Yes Kango you are correct! It was my family that ran Skyviews and General on Meanwood Road. A chap who used to work there called Andy Wright (you may remember the name) took on the Skyviews name and is still doing the business himself. Hi simonash and welcome to the forum.I don't remember Andy Wright (my time was late 70's early 80's)I do remember Ralph Sally and Paul who are obviously related to Yourself with much fondness, as they ran the business with a "family feel" towards it's employees. I certainly enjoyed my time there.Could You perhaps shed light on the rumour amongst the workforce at that time that Ralph landed one of the aircraft on what is now the M621 in Hunslet prior to it being opened in the early 70's? It's something that always intrigued me but never thought to ask!RegardsTabbycat (was Kango) Hi tabbycatThanks for the welcome. Yes my grandparents Ralph and Sally are fortunately both still alive. Nearly in their 90's now but Skyviews is their favourite thing to talk about! Paul my dad is well too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I was born in 86 so only remember Skyviews from 1990ish onwards. Yes he certainly did! Again he is keen to tell that story nowadays to anyone! Although he does say it was the A1 but I guess he still landed on a motorway regardless. If you want me to pass on your regards, I would be glad to, I know it will give them a smile to hear anything positive about Skyviews.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

simonash wrote: TABBYCAT wrote: simonash wrote: kango wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Keg wrote: You are right Ravey, I think they were based on Meanwood road and it was called something like "Skyviews & General". I don't think I have got that right but it's somewhere near. Skyviews may be correct here's a street view of skyviews http://goo.gl/maps/hfDP0 at Rothwell Haigh I used to work for Skyview and General who were based at Barkston house on Domestic street, they then moved to Meanwood road in the late 70's into this building..http://goo.gl/maps/wkztuAs far as I can recall they ceased operations sometime near the year 2000 , the site below seems to confirm it.http://www.companieslist.co.uk/00634793 ... limitedThe firm at Rothwell is not related(to the best of My knowledge) to the original family owned one on Meanwood rd.Kango.                 Yes Kango you are correct! It was my family that ran Skyviews and General on Meanwood Road. A chap who used to work there called Andy Wright (you may remember the name) took on the Skyviews name and is still doing the business himself. Hi simonash and welcome to the forum.I don't remember Andy Wright (my time was late 70's early 80's)I do remember Ralph Sally and Paul who are obviously related to Yourself with much fondness, as they ran the business with a "family feel" towards it's employees. I certainly enjoyed my time there.Could You perhaps shed light on the rumour amongst the workforce at that time that Ralph landed one of the aircraft on what is now the M621 in Hunslet prior to it being opened in the early 70's? It's something that always intrigued me but never thought to ask!RegardsTabbycat (was Kango) Hi tabbycatThanks for the welcome. Yes my grandparents Ralph and Sally are fortunately both still alive. Nearly in their 90's now but Skyviews is their favourite thing to talk about! Paul my dad is well too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I was born in 86 so only remember Skyviews from 1990ish onwards. Yes he certainly did! Again he is keen to tell that story nowadays to anyone! Although he does say it was the A1 but I guess he still landed on a motorway regardless. If you want me to pass on your regards, I would be glad to, I know it will give them a smile to hear anything positive about Skyviews. Hi simonash.Glad to hear they are still with us, and please do pass on my regards.In the absence of my real name they may remember me as the guy who operated the big green ugly German made photographic mounting machine from 78-82.Also thank them for the Christmas staff outings at the Astoria ballroom C/W free bar!!very generous for a small family firm, like I said before remembered with fondness.I will leave it at this Simon as we seem to be wandering off the threads original topic so welcome again and please read and indeed contribute to all the other threads if you can as I think you will find this an interesting site.My regards and thanks to your family.Tabbycat.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Large Hercules type aircraft just approached, presumed it's landed.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: Large Hercules type aircraft just approached, presumed it's landed. Aha! Saw that from Temple Newsam, but was too far away to be 100% what it was. Deffo didn't look like a civilian plane.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

Cardiarms wrote: Large Hercules type aircraft just approached, presumed it's landed. I realise there are a lot of aircraft experts on here. I saw the same plane going over Armley towards LBA at about 13.20pm today. I wondered if somebody would spot it and post. Drab Olive coloured 4 prop thing. I wouldn't have a clue what type but SL has made me look up to the skies a bit more.
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

shutthatdoor wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Large Hercules type aircraft just approached, presumed it's landed. I realise there are a lot of aircraft experts on here. I saw the same plane going over Armley towards LBA at about 13.20pm today. I wondered if somebody would spot it and post. Drab Olive coloured 4 prop thing. I wouldn't have a clue what type but SL has made me look up to the skies a bit more. I saw the same aircraft when I was in Calverley this afternoon flying down the Aire Valley towards Leeds. Was It a Herc or a Liberator? Don't know!
ex-Armley lad

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

I saw that too thisaft, around 2pm, it had just taken off from LBA.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I saw it approaching LBA as we were heading out, from the usual direction (over Leeds city centre).When I saw it later from Temple Newsam, it was taking off again but heading back over Leeds which seems quite unusual? It then banked round and flew off to the North(?)I'd only got my Zenit 35mm camera with a 28-70 lens on, so it was too far away to get a photo. If I'd had my trusty digital FZ38 it would have been a different story....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yes it was a Hercules that was flying round Leeds yesterday, it made quite a few passes over the airport and I believe it landed at one point. I can only see the southern most end of the runway so I couldnt say for definate. I got a photo through my camera's zoom lens, I'll upload it later as I'm using a friends computer as my internet has gone on the blink.Totally unrelated, but one for the bus spotters, today (19th April) around 12:30pm I saw a vintage bright red Routemaster bus heading in an easterly direction along the A6120 Leeds outer ring road at West Park. It was decked out in white ribbons on the bonnet and had 'Wedding Party' on the front panel.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

More comings and goings, but at a much lower altitude....It seems that there are some new buses set to start serving the airport - spotted yesterday on the Outer Ring Road at the Barwick Rd roundabout heading towards Crossgates, two mid-sized single deckers emblazoned with "Flying Tigers" and "Leeds - Leeds / Bradford International Airport" decals.Presumably operated by Yorkshire Tiger, formerly Centrebus. At least the 'Flying Tigers' thing shows a bit of initiative. They looked like the type of buses that YCL used on the Leeds - York express service when they saw off Worst on that route a couple of years ago.More on the original Flying Tigers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers