Comings and goings at Leeds Bradford airport yesterday

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Late yesterday afternoon, about 6pm, four single engined planes in loose formation were headed towards LBA. I was too far away to see what they were but engine drone sounded like WW2 vintage. Anyone know what they were?Also, late last night following a whole load of charter flights, about midnight a jet went over to land, totally dark, possibly painted black, no landing lights, no navigation lights. Spooky doings?

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Don't know about yesterday's flights, but there's a real time tracker at http://www.flightradar24.com/ if you're curious about what's what.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Funnily enough, just before lunchtime today a helicopter flew very slowly along the eastern fringe of Leeds, roughly over Cock Beck / Grimes Dyke, in an approximate NNW directionNot the police helicopter or an air ambulance, or anything overtly military. I had time to observe it, go back in the house, grab the camera and come back out and take a couple of pics although it was pretty much at the limits of my cameras range. Despite flying relatively low (although not as low as the police helicopter does) I couldn't make out obvious markings or tail number even on the photos, but the upper part of it was dark blue, with the underside being white. Looking at the pics there is some sort of pod on the far side (starboard?). A Google suggests it was possibly an Augusta Westland 365 Dauphin? The 'full size' pic can be found here: http://flic.kr/p/f9ykhG    
Attachments
P1320695h.jpg
P1320695h.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Cardiarms wrote: Late yesterday afternoon, about 6pm, four single engined planes in loose formation were headed towards LBA. I was too far away to see what they were but engine drone sounded like WW2 vintage. Anyone know what they were?Also, late last night following a whole load of charter flights, about midnight a jet went over to land, totally dark, possibly painted black, no landing lights, no navigation lights. Spooky doings? I think I saw these same aircraft early today in loose formation but this time there were 6 of them. They were flying towards Leeds along the Aire valley. They were too high for me to make out what the were and anyway my eyes aren't that good these days
ex-Armley lad

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

i also saw the 4 planes yesterday and i thought they were ww2 but they were too far away to make out. i did see two spitfires dogfighting over aire valley a week ago which was awesome!
if it feels good ......... dig it!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've seen the comings and goings over the Leeds skyline the last few days sat out on the balcony.I've seen the Red Kite 2 days running, neither time had the camera to hand The amount of planes landing at Leeds/Bradford was astronomical this afternoon. The flight path comes right over the flats you can see near St James hospital, I can watch them go right across to the airport dropping all the time. Four medium sized jets landed within 15 mins around 1ish, and I watched three land in 10 mins around 2.p.m. One plane literally followed the last one in about a minute later. I saw the first jet coming over the flats, and in the distance I saw the next one waiting in the loop, that second plane was actually flying in a direction that made it look like it was leaving Leeds and heading to Europe, but it did a big turn and followed the first one in right behind it's tail. I heard a helicopter for ages but couldn't see it, I think it was 1-2 o'clock perhaps, then around 3 o'clock I saw the same blue helicopter you saw Ravey, it came from the direction of Cottingley towers this time, and it definitely landed on the L.G.I rooftop. There was also a MASSIVE fire going in the distance, I presumed it must be moorland burning in this heat. The smoke got really black and covered most of the horizon. I've since found out it was this plastics factory fire in Sheffield. http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/vid ... 5854471The photo above is taken a good 7 hours after I first saw it, it's still going.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's a fascinating photo Phill. It must be some fire that at least its smoke could be seen so far away.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

The fire is in Sheffield!!The helicopter was over Tingley yesterday too.. Possibly a patient transfer.Missed the WW2 aircraft..

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: That's a fascinating photo Phill. It must be some fire that at least its smoke could be seen so far away. It was incredibly big around 3 this afternoon Leo. I guess that's when the firefighters started to put water on it. I'm not really sure why I didn't snap it earlier, I just think I'd melted into the chair and couldn't move. It's been glorious, but boiling hot hasn't it?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I wonder if the aircraft were filming another Yorkshire Tea advert? http://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/blog/2013 ... n-the-air/