Railway photo help please.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_d wrote: I've added a pic to my station entrance shot how the ramp used to looked for a comparison to my 2006 shot here http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/276151604/ Yes it looks pretty narrow & bleak too! Call me strange, but that pic comparison is AMAZING! Solved alot of thoughts inmy mind about how it looked. There is even the pipe inthe top right hand corner that is there now showing in the new one!!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Great to see it at last! I'm far more inerested in the other entrance on Whitehall road as that passageway was far more interesting. Very narrow, dark & deep looking! just up my street!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

simonm wrote: rangieowner wrote: Sorry but i'm completly lost! i've read this whole thread but i'm still not sure where this is! near Armley Gyratory, Right? Aye. If you were to stop under the bridge just before the gyratory there is bricked up section between the bridges. It looks liek a giant step. This was the easterly access to the station. As your on the gyratory, keeping in far left lane, towards Elland road, you pass a newly (well failry new) section of red brick. That was the westerly access to the station! Hope that helps a bit? Edit to add a crap alteration of the above plan. The large blue line is roughly where the gyratory is now a days. Thanks for that Simonm, thats cleared it up lovely, It was Geldard Road that threw me, I didn't know it ran that far, Gyratory has always been there in my lifetime, i consider that bit of road near the east entrance as Wellington Road!!! My bad! sorry!
Love a Landrover

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

rangieowner wrote: simonm wrote: rangieowner wrote: Sorry but i'm completly lost! i've read this whole thread but i'm still not sure where this is! near Armley Gyratory, Right? Aye. If you were to stop under the bridge just before the gyratory there is bricked up section between the bridges. It looks liek a giant step. This was the easterly access to the station. As your on the gyratory, keeping in far left lane, towards Elland road, you pass a newly (well failry new) section of red brick. That was the westerly access to the station! Hope that helps a bit? Edit to add a crap alteration of the above plan. The large blue line is roughly where the gyratory is now a days. Thanks for that Simonm, thats cleared it up lovely, It was Geldard Road that threw me, I didn't know it ran that far, Gyratory has always been there in my lifetime, i consider that bit of road near the east entrance as Wellington Road!!! My bad! sorry! Exactly my way of thinking Rangie, Although it's only feet away from Wellington road... Strange road set up..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Which is now one and the same road. People assume that it's all Wellingtong road / Bridge. Obviously it the one travelling east towards town was wellington road the westerly carriageway, as is now, is the old Gelderd Rd. Up to seeing this plan I had no idea either. Also, the road never veered towards the bridge, from Armley road as it does today. Although cut off, you can plainly see Wellington road going straight through, what is now the gyratory itself. As you pass this bit going inot Leeds you can see the old opening where the road used to travel! I always remember travelling into town on the bus with my mum and seeing Geo spenc's Ironmongers. How they ever did a stock take in there baffles me to this day. It was rammed with everything you would ever need for home / work etc!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I'm just wondering if this road layout ever changed at all as you say Simon it's higher up than you think it should be, Although the sign on the bridge identity today is is Gelderd road!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Ok, the blue line A, is the new road coming from Bradford (Armley Rd) towards town. The pink road B, coming from town is the old gelderd rd. The gree lin c is Geldered rd entering the gyratory. A and B roads have remained the same since pre gyratory. Only thing that has changed is missing bridges, abutments can still be seen and the entry point of gelderd rd ntering the gyratory.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

If you look at Drapesy's photo at the top of the page. Apart from the missing bridge in front and the hoardings and the surrounding buildings, the bridge is exactly the same today. A little rerouting of the highway, to accomodate the new road layout, but the actual route is still the same. All thats changed is the entry to the gyratory and the "cutting" off of Welington rd on the far side of the bridge as you look at it! Hope thats clear?

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Yep! i see that now Simonm, all has become perfectly clear to me now! thanks!
Love a Landrover

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Further to Drapesy's super foto at top of page, if the shot was ,as I think,taken looking up Wellington Rd and up Gelderd Rd (towards Domestic St), I think you'll find that.Gelderd Rd would be on the LEFT and Wellington Rd on the Right,as you view them!(Can't recall any bridge advts.or lettering from my (1936!)days,sorry!)Gelderd Rd, I think, started just along from the engine 'turntable'Round House,went under the bridges to the Domestic St/Spence Lane areas, then kindly became a Cross roads with Whitehall Rd,which proceded thence on the Right past the rear of the Cattle market, and Gelderd Rd crossed over to the Left past the front of the Cattle market. With me so far? Me neither!I do remember an Appleyard's(I think), filling stn. on the City sideof the crossroads which caught traffic on both Whitehall and Gelderd Roads!(Enterprise!). That filling stn was still there in the early 60s but the whole area is changed greatly,since the M621 and Domestic Roads were constructed.Hope this garbled account of 'how it was then',may have helpedsort out some of the arguments a bit?Arry Awk