Railway photo help please.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

And here's one that might interest you rikj - our photographer friend in 1915 -(who started all this!!!) went through the tunnel and took another pic looking back- or vice versa!This labelled on Leodis as ; '21 May 1915 View looking underneath Railway Bridges, Wellington Road'No sign of the Archway though - so it obviously isnt a walk-way as I thought - presumably it was to give access to workmen - If you look on the original is that a door to one side of it and it was normally shut? hard to say .
Attachments
__TFMF_1bdv0cjw50yyewu5pp5nd12u_dcc3d502-7617-4fa1-9759-a7792cf56d60_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1bdv0cjw50yyewu5pp5nd12u_dcc3d502-7617-4fa1-9759-a7792cf56d60_0_main.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

drapesy wrote: Brilliant pic LS1 - heres the current google earth image of same.You'll see the bridge to the left -south has gone also on the right/ north where the 'Appleyard' bridge was the bridge has been reduced in width - there's a footbridge there now. Excellent Drapesy, thats a great comparison. I thought when I was near the round engine shed the other week that the gap between the shed and the tracks looked narrower on old photos. I think unfortunately looking at the two pics the arches have now sadly gone although it would be nice to have them reappear one day!!Shame there are no other pics of the area around here, IE looking from ground level at the stations (as looking toward the a643). But thinking on, there is a bridge when you go under the a643 so maybe the arches are still there underneath all the earth....

munki

Post by munki »

Scandy Bramley wrote: You guys are AMAZING!!! Re-SPECT for all the investigations and info...tho I suspect your partners are like mine and arry's? "Are you on that bloody Secret Leeds site again???" Good to know that the site is causing this kind of marital strife! Haha.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Scrap that last one. Just realised if you look on the pic I have attached, you can see the subway in the center just to the right. It looks like the tunnel opens again for the fist time coming from the right after the gap between the two sets of track. All the track to the left of the gap between the tracks has been swept away for the gyratory. I think also the gasometer on the left is a different one to that which exists today, I think this one is further to the south (ie bottom of the pic).

LS1

Post by LS1 »

LS1 wrote: Scrap that last one. Just realised if you look on the pic I have attached, you can see the subway in the center just to the right. It looks like the tunnel opens again for the fist time coming from the right after the gap between the two sets of track. All the track to the left of the gap between the tracks has been swept away for the gyratory. I think also the gasometer on the left is a different one to that which exists today, I think this one is further to the south (ie bottom of the pic).
Attachments
__TFMF_zhncvqmnje1vrn45zwy3e145_58bfc5ce-8d3f-4a02-9725-a18dd726e70d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zhncvqmnje1vrn45zwy3e145_58bfc5ce-8d3f-4a02-9725-a18dd726e70d_0_main.jpg (535.59 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

As near as I can get on google to your second pic LS1 - this area has changed so much it's tricky to get a handle on it!
Attachments
__TFMF_2zmg5macphkyqf45sej1rkiz_b639a3c1-7681-4482-b0b8-5c9c2c9932e1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2zmg5macphkyqf45sej1rkiz_b639a3c1-7681-4482-b0b8-5c9c2c9932e1_0_main.jpg (162.75 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Blimey you go out for a mid week pint for a change & look what happens :-)) Still think i should get all the bonus points as thats where i originally said it was 2 WEEKS AGO! See here!http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/936970779/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Phill_d wrote: I know why it's confusing you so much. I made the very same mistake when jsb uploaded it 9 days ago i thought it was Wellington road. Whitehall road has been widened & the bridge & pedestrian arch flattened obviously. It is a very decieving picture but imagine it without the abutment alteration. Whats on Whitehall road now is not like on the 1915 pic. OOPS!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

By 'eck,there's a lot of arguing going on abt bridges!The following might help (a bit!)Seeing rickj's pic of the coalyard entrance on Wellington Rdbrought back distant memories which might not be very accuratebut.. at the age of six in 1936(!) I lived in Bushire St at the bottom end of Armley Rd ,one of seven streets which backed on to the CoalDepot sidings. The White Horse pub was on the corner of Armleyand Wellington Rd's.That row of shops adjoining the WHPubfinished at the coal yard entrance,and you can see the top ends of those streets up the yard on the right. First street wasDevonshire Street, then Londesborough St, Douro St,etc.Bushire St,where I lived ,was the fifth street up and backed on to the shunters sidings and was VERY noisy at night!On that parade of shops, which ended with Reg Park's,was our barber's shop called Charlie Browns. He later moved into Leeds Centre I believe. (No.He Didn't sell motor spares!)My dad used to take me up the road a bit to the Gasworks Gatesto see the very small engines pulling wagons of coal across Wellington Rd to the gasworks. The rail lines crossed the tram tracks. Two chaps with red flags held up the traffic in both directions. Can't remember any traffic lights!On the subject of the bridges, to me, there seemed to be dozens crossing Wellington Rd and Gelderd Rd! so no wonder you guys get confused! Especially as a few aren't there any more.(Sorry!).Talavera Street was off Gelderd Rd and led to the footway tunnel at Holbeck Station,which was approached up a steep flight of steps half way along the underpass. The u/pass led through, after the steps entrance,to Sutton Street which led on to Whitehall Rd.Hope that input hasn't confused the issue,but memories do comeflooding back at the mention of place names!ThanksArry Awk

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Arry, you recall some very interesting memories there. Can you remember whether this was the only enterance to the station you mention or were there others to get to both the high level station and the low level station? I seem to remember Phil mentioning some but can't remember where they were!