Railway Relics of Yesteryear

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
simonm

Post by simonm »

I don't doubt you phill, but there is defo something there! Raised platform type structure with red tiles. Like I said, under massive undergrowth but there!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phil, went roaming in the area this morning. Walked along the heavily overgrown lines, over the bridge and to the fence blocking the way forward to Wortley Junction. As the area is massively overgrown it was really difficult for me to find the place I was on about, however, it was over 20 years ago since I was there!!Found sh*t loads of greenfly though. I would imagine that if a real good effort was done the remains could still be found.. Looking at the area though it is unlikely of a station, the remains are probably some sort of offices, maybe signal box type thingy's
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

John

Post by John »

Those steps led up to Copley Hill loco shed in the Wortley triangle. It was unfortunate that the shed foreman's office was just at the top, with him seated ready to repel hopeful trainspotters.I did once cop two Streaks there in the same day though.John.

John

Post by John »

Just to clear, or cause, confusion on Farnley & Wortley station I hope to attach a photo of it after closure.The first station, Wortley, was on the original direct lineinto Leeds, through what became the LNW Coopley Hill yard. This station was renamed Wortley & Farnley in 1877 but another station was built on the new LNW Viaduct line in March 1882. This was renamed Farnley & Wortley in 1891.It closed on 3/11/1952, but was retained for LUFC football traffic. I don't know whhen this ceased.The photo, if it attaches, shows the 1882 station. The original line, and station, was behind the station master's house on the right.I hope this helps.As to why farnley came to be included in the nameis something of a mystery as the station was several miles from that village. Perhaps the inhabitants of Farnley Hall had something to do with it?John.
Attachments
__TFMF_sxkr5c2zbitqn455nsd4uh55_b6bcc196-b55f-4e33-b123-acfc1a12041a_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_sxkr5c2zbitqn455nsd4uh55_b6bcc196-b55f-4e33-b123-acfc1a12041a_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Otleybard

Post by Otleybard »

I expect that in the highly-competitive world of nineteenth century railways, 'double naming' the station ensured that anyone travelling from outside the area to Farnley would be more likely to choose that company's trains for their journey.There was an old joke about a traveller complaining that a station was too far from the village it served; "Ah", replied the Stationmaster, "I suppose they had to build it somewhere near the railway line."

simonm

Post by simonm »

So John, are you saying that those steps, on Copley hill, did used to go to a station? I'm on about the steps between the massive bridge abutements. Further down the road, on the right, was an old railwaymans house. Was it just a railway workers house or a stationmasters? Maybe a signallers house?

John

Post by John »

I am saying just that. The steps did not lead to a station because there was no station there. At the top of the steps was Copley Hill shed. In pre-Grouping days both the GN and L&Y had sheds within the Wortley triangle. I attach a 1909 OS map that shows the arrangements. The two loco sheds and the GN carriage shed are shown. As you can see, there was no station.Regards the railway house, or are there two? I can't remember, these were quite old, almost certainly LNW but possibly even LD&MJR. They may originally have been allocated to specific grades of railwayman, possibly the Yardmaster, but in later years they would have been let to whoever applied.In GN terms, the nearest station would have been Holbeck High Level, but this was nearer Leeds Central. The nearest LNW station was Wortley, or whatever it was called at the time, and this was on the LNW near the Dragon pub.Hope this helps.John.
Attachments
__TFMF_f1wpwhraugmf1y45guvxwj55_b5eade5a-3575-458f-ad3d-ed5cec44c3a7_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_f1wpwhraugmf1y45guvxwj55_b5eade5a-3575-458f-ad3d-ed5cec44c3a7_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (53.54 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks John.. You nailed it on the head there. Can you see that the stations were virtually next to each other & moved only yards away Simon? There were actually nearer Farnley m.p.d than Copley hill i would guess, You can see coaching stock in Johns pic from Farnley sidings. If you look down Whitehall road today you can still see the remains of the Original station/goods buildings pictured in the background. I think a car or scrapyard is next door. Nice pic as well John... I love the type 4's..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Simon.. Go to the library & get either Leeds termini or Leeds rail memories no 3. " exellent books especially Leeds termini for arail shots!! You'll be well interested..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cheers chaps. I have copied the plan above and circled the area where I thought there was a station. As it is right next to the branch line (or whatever it's called) I assumed that it was a station. Especially as there was / is some sort of platform structure there!