Railway Relics of Yesteryear

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
rikj

Post by rikj »

LS1 wrote: Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where??? I guess you were dodging traffic in Far Headingley to snap that manhole cover!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

rikj wrote: LS1 wrote: Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where??? I guess you were dodging traffic in Far Headingley to snap that manhole cover! Is there one there? I didn't know, this one is in the city centre - it should be a "where" as I think its pretty obvious "what" it is.

danny

Post by danny »

Is there anyone within this forum that can help me with a little piece of info regarding Copley Hill and its sheds and yards? I have done a little bit myself, looking at old O/S maps the sheds etc. arrived somewhere between 1838 and 1898. More info gratefully received. Incidentally the wall still in situ at the site was the track boundary for the coaling point, this was done manually with barrows.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Danny, welcome to Secret Leeds. Ask away and we'll all do our best to help.Incidentally,I presume you mean the GNR/LNER/BR sheds that lasted into the 1960s. There was a L&Y shed next door but accessed by road from Oldfield Lane ( not used for loco purposes from 1927 ), and a shed near Dragon Bridge, also known as Copley Hill, that was the L&NWRs predecessor of Farnley Junction.

danny

Post by danny »

Hi Jim,Yes the site is exactly as you mentioned. It was a huge installation and covered a large area. My specific interest is the cottages, numbers 3 and 5 Copley Hill which were at one point occupied by members of the railway, which I am not sure.

tilly

Post by tilly »

[quotenick="danny"]Hi Jim, Sorry lads dont know what went wrong there.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Just thought i'd let you know there is a nice collection of archive railway shots around Copley Hill, maps e.t.c herehttp://snipurl.com/141in0It may, or may not answer any questions. But it's worth taking a look for the steam, shoot, and unfitted clanky waggons of yesteryear alone. Enjoy     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Just thought i'd let you know there is a nice collection of archive railway shots around Copley Hill, maps e.t.c herehttp://snipurl.com/141in0It may, or may not answer any questions. But it's worth taking a look for the steam, shoot, and unfitted clanky waggons of yesteryear alone. Enjoy      Great images there. They do though show just how smoky trains were! Getting grit into my eyes when peering out of a window was not the nicest of things and you soon learnt not to do it! Clanky waggons made me
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

danny

Post by danny »

Thanks for the info Phil_d, I shall certainly give it all a look up in due course, still beating my brains out over the cottages. I am on theLeodis site with comments regarding these sites. I am as you will probably realise a local lad and railways is my particular interest.

jim

Post by jim »

Are the Leodis photos of numbers 1 and 3 Copley Hill being demolished in 1984 the cottages you are interested in Danny?