Leeds Lost Time Machines

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
munki

Post by munki »

rikj wrote: Nice one bash, still waiting to see if anyone posts a pic of the "Leeds" one. Are you talking about the one outside the police station in Wetherby, rikj? I have good photos of it, but sadly not digital...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

LS1 wrote: Barwicker wrote: Re the Tardis/Police Box outside Midland Bank 263 Roundhay Road.I was the "chap" quoted as saying that this was removed in the early 60s. I worked at this branch of the Bank from 1961 to 1965 and it certainly disappeared during that time. One of the Bank's Security Messengers was a retired Leeds PC who spoke of using the Box on his rounds. I'd love to have actually seen inside one of these boxes as I think that they had a key to them so not just anybody could get in? I can just imagine a flask of hot tea there waiting for the bobby to just nip in for as he was on the beat going past! I was lucky enough to get inside one (though down South, not in Leeds), when I was very young. I've always thought that it was the one used in the filming of 'Logopolis', although that might be my mind playing tricks on me.This one had a lock, but was not locked. I basically saw it from a car window & I think my parents knew that I would never have forgiven them if they didn't stop & have a look! It was surprisingly spacious inside... whitewashed, with a little desk & chair, a telephone, and a kettle, & a hook to hang up your uniform. Bigger on the inside... but not that big!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Oh Dear!I have just posted regarding Tardises on 'Old Leeds Police stns!'Please check on there. It may be of some interest and I don'trelish retyping it all agen!Sorry Arry Awk

munki

Post by munki »

Arry's post...Bit mediocre this,but for what it's worth, there was a Tardison Burley Road which was partly in theBurley Rd, (aka Westfield CP, aka Rosebank CP!), school grounds but fenced off from us ragamuffins!You could make an emergency external call from it by opening a small cupboard door (approx.1ft 6ins square) which pulled outwardon a spring loaded hinge. When in this position, the caller was immediately 'on line' (Intercom)to a police station.Also,the 'Beat 'Copper would report to his station when doing his roundsPenalty for a false call was prison!(If caught!).You had to close it very carefullyor it would have your finger!I thing most of the old police boxes had this facility.Arry Awk

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

arry awk wrote: Oh Dear!I have just posted regarding Tardises on 'Old Leeds Police stns!'Please check on there. It may be of some interest and I don'trelish retyping it all agen!Sorry Arry Awk It's those "Rigwelter" ales that do it, Arry! That and the fact that you are puddled!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

munki wrote: rikj wrote: Nice one bash, still waiting to see if anyone posts a pic of the "Leeds" one. Are you talking about the one outside the police station in Wetherby, rikj? I have good photos of it, but sadly not digital... just for you Rikj & munki!! Wetherby T.A.R.D.I.S.
Attachments
__TFMF_uyhyk2moafcae255lksyo355_07c07fc1-4d49-4000-88fd-502f4803929b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uyhyk2moafcae255lksyo355_07c07fc1-4d49-4000-88fd-502f4803929b_0_main.jpg (125.01 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Love a Landrover

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: And along Harehills Lane for a bit supplies shopping before heading off into the continuum. spot onreggie and the 'keep away from them' pervey toilets are in the middle of the photo,you went downstairs to them.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

stevief

Post by stevief »

LS1 wrote: Another one from Leodis "View of shops on Harehills Parade, looking towards the junction with Harehills Road. On the right, number 263 branch of the Midland Bank. This is the junction with Beck Road. On the right is a tram, there is a police call box and a telephone kiosk in view." A chap comments on their that this 'tardis' was removed in the early 1960s It might be an idea to start recording the whereabouts of red telephone kiosks,they look like becoming an endangered species.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I couldn't tell you where there are any these days!!
Love a Landrover

munki

Post by munki »

rangieowner wrote: munki wrote: rikj wrote: Nice one bash, still waiting to see if anyone posts a pic of the "Leeds" one. Are you talking about the one outside the police station in Wetherby, rikj? I have good photos of it, but sadly not digital... just for you Rikj & munki!! Wetherby T.A.R.D.I.S. I wasn't 100% sure this was actually a real Police Box when I got up close to it. It seems to be made of fibreglass, or something...Obviously had my picture taken leaning against with my blonde & beautiful friend Martha. A little bit out of focus, I can almost convince myself that we look like Christopher Eccleston & Billie Piper!