Leeds buses 1960-90

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Johnny39 wrote: pyramar - your mystery bus sounds like the half hourly 38 which ran from the Skyliner to Moortown (Sandhill Lane) via Crosssgates, Gipton and Oakwood - on the hour and half past from each terminus, two vehicles required. Hi Blakey, please don't think I'm being argumentative but didn't the 38 use the top of Hollyshaw Lane, outside the old cattle market, later ASDA as its terminus. Not at all - I never think that anyone on this excellent mature site is being argumentative - quite the reverse, I'm sure we're all simply anxious to keep history as accurate as possible.Your query is spot on, and I had quite wrongly assumed "Skyliner" as the 38 terminus. In fact after the Station Hotel on the Ring Road the buses went up Knightsway, left into Selby Road, and left again to the terminus in Hollyshaw Lane - returning to Moortown direct down the latter. Thank you very much for this clarification.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Thanks for your prompt reply Blakey. It's good to know that sometimes the "old grey one" is still holding up. Once again many Ta's.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Johnny39 wrote: Thanks for your prompt reply Blakey. It's good to know that sometimes the "old grey one" is still holding up. Once again many Ta's. You're very welcome anytime - we could do with some of the bracing North Sea air of Scarborough here in Headingley to keep the grey matter functioning better, or at all !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

BLAKEY wrote: Johnny39 wrote: Thanks for your prompt reply Blakey. It's good to know that sometimes the "old grey one" is still holding up. Once again many Ta's. You're very welcome anytime - we could do with some of the bracing North Sea air of Scarborough here in Headingley to keep the grey matter functioning better, or at all !! Thanks Blakey. Not one of Scarborough's better days today, chucked it down 'til dinnertime and then the fog rolled back in. Just watched the weather forecast and we could have snow by the weekend, hey-ho all part of life's rich pageant. Watch out for further bulletins! :-)
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

stephenmgill1950

Re: Leeds buses 1960-90

Post by stephenmgill1950 »

Hi don't know if anyone is still intrested in this but I worked on the route as a conductor and you did the service to Whitkirk/Skyliner and turned shot back to Leeds bus station, what got a bit confusing was that you would do the odd 39 to Colton as you had 14 plus minutes of layover at the Skyliner can remember one day my driver forgot that we dropped back to adjust service, shot off down to town returned and no one noticed we had done a spare trip!!!!! very quite run down.....Just one more thing, you did one trip to Colton for the school kids, try getting in fares for 50 plus kids in 4 stops, pennies were thrust at you from all direction as they all wanted a ticket!!!!Happy days I went on to work for lct for 25 years.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Recently discussing Leeds bus routes with a friend when he asked if there was ever a Number 23 route and if so where did it go. I cannot remember a 23 route so wondering if anyone can put us right. We are talking between 1980 and approx 1995ish. Your help greatly appreciated.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi MiggyBill,

In 1968, the Number 23 route was as follows:

Central Bus Station - Eastgate - Headrow - Burley Road - Kirkstall Hill - Leeds & Bradford Road - Intake Lane.

I presume that the return journey was a reverse journey of the above. I have no idea if, or when, this route was changed or abolished.

Ian

jim

Post by jim »

23 bus route to Intake from Rockingham St Bus Station commenced 1955 running via Burley Road, Kirkstall Hill, and Leeds and Bradford Road. Service withdrawn Feb 1980. The Leeds terminus had had moved from Rockingham St to the Central Bus Station, later moved again to Eastgate. The number had previously been carried by trams to Meanwood.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello Ian and Jim, looks like the no.23 route has had a few incarnations as I have just found out that in the 1990's for a short time at least, the no. 23 ran from Middleton to Brackenwood/Gledhow, losing me a bet I might add!!!!!!
Thank you for your info, take care.

Billy.