Horsforth, An Island???

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I think this counts as transport!    Is there any truth to the rumor that you can't leave horsforth WITHOUT crossing water? Can anyone help? sorry if this subject has been covered in the past!
Love a Landrover

big s

Post by big s »

ive heard it said before that horsforth is an island plus supposed to be the biggest island in england.also the biggest village in england.
at least until the world stops going round.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Well at least it was the biggest village until it was swallowed up by leeds urban sprawl! now it's just the 'burbs
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I would also supect the Isle of Wight to be bigger than Horsforth!!!!
Love a Landrover

big s

Post by big s »

good point rangie.perhaps the tale i heard meant in england as in the mainland?
at least until the world stops going round.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I don't know Horsforth itself that well but from my knowledge of the surrounding areas I am not sure how Horsforth can be totally enclosed by water.To the west and then South is the river Aire but to the east I can only think of Eccup reservoir and to the north Yeadon tarn or the river Wharfe a little further.Perhaps someone can enlighten us to what stretches of water make it "an island"
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

tyke bhoy wrote: I don't know Horsforth itself that well but from my knowledge of the surrounding areas I am not sure how Horsforth can be totally enclosed by water.To the west and then South is the river Aire but to the east I can only think of Eccup reservoir and to the north Yeadon tarn or the river Wharfe a little further.Perhaps someone can enlighten us to what stretches of water make it "an island" Tyke Bhoy - I can't get the image to post, but if you Google "Horsforth Ordinance Survey map" and then images, there is a map showing several becks and man made irrigation ditches around the other boundaries of Horsforth.Some look like you could step over them, but they are still "watter" - making Horsforth indeed an island. :-)I'll try looking on Google Earth, but usually the closer you get to a destination, the more blurred the image gets. :-(
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

There'll be plenty of places that count as islands if you include man made channels - up in the moors there are a lot of collection channels that route water between the reservoirs so those will enclose entire catchments.As to the largest village - I heard it was Cottingham to the Northwest of Hull.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Bloody hell, it's a bit tenuous to sugest that Horsforth was an island.. Mind you, stretch the limits of feasability to the breaking point and I suppose anywhere could be considered an island!! lol
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

simonm wrote: Bloody hell, it's a bit tenuous to sugest that Horsforth was an island.. Mind you, stretch the limits of feasability to the breaking point and I suppose anywhere could be considered an island!! lol I wish armlah was an island - with all the rain lately, it might have been flooded, ne'er to be seen again! :-)))
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.