Buried WW2 tank on Waterloo Lane Bramley

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Mouldy

Post by Mouldy »

Around the 70,s 80,s a WW2 tank was uncoverd on Waterloo lane in Bramley while excavating for industrial units.Does anyone have any information as to what happened to it.I think the unit that now stands where this tank was is called Sherman house!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Crikey - I was living in that area back then (Landseers) and this is news to me.Hope 'Arry 'Awk has a better memory than me?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Nope! The only thing I can remember is being told by my daughter's fellaat the time,that there was a virtual arms dump buried underthe land betwn the Bramleyshopping centre and The Post OfficeParcels dept. There is/was supposed to be all sorts of weaponryand ammo under there,Brens, Stens, rifles, grenades etc,soit's feasible that a tank may have been in there too!Can't find any more gen from that source as the poor chap dieda while ago.I have noticed that contractors have now started 'grading' the whole field with a view to building a Dog's home or similar! (objections HAVE been raised by the local householders!).Hope the contractor don't hit any unstable mortar bombs or grenades!Arry awk

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

The tank is still ther the could not remove it when the started work on the foundations for the new buildings and the low building at the side of the postal sorting office is built over the tank, they still have the press cuttings framed in the reception or did when i last was in there.. i think the story of how it got there was a bit vague but the old site had been a scrap yard and the tank had sunk in the mud in the yard before they could scrap it properly

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi BillyBSorted! Thanks for that input. Might be worth checking on Google I wonder if the contractors will unearth any more military 'treasures'?Be in a poor state now,I shouldn't wonder. Can't say I noticed any photos of the tank last time I claimed an understamped letter!Cost me £1.38! GRRR!Cheers and thanks again.arry awk

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

sorry Harry the tank is under the building at the side of the sorting office in the buiding that is closer to the centre,, thatis where the pictures are

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Right-o BB,Thanks for that info, I'll flash my late Dad's Post Office Imperial Service medal at 'em! They are Bound to let me in.(Not!).Such a shame they didn't get some proper lifting tackle on it.Cleaned up,it would have made a great monument by the Headrow War memorial!I can remember there was a 75mm field gun (French/German?)outside Fenton Street barracks up to the beginning of the 39/45 conflict. Probably taken for scrap metal.Also I'm sure there were some canons (and balls) on Wood'us Moor behind the Library. Childhood memories of course.All for now.Arry Awk

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

'Arry dad...Yer right about a cannon with a pyramid of cannonballs on Woody Moor - but I thought they were near Hyde Park Corner?Or am I getting as forgetful as you, in me old age? :-OYou couldn't flash me Grandad H's P.O. medal, as I have it! Along with his cig case with enclosed lighter. You gave them to me decades ago!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

OH NO U aven't! Unless he had a duplicate!I have the ISM here in front of me now. Silver,with red and blue ribbon. Queen's head on one side (stiff neck?)and an old person sat on a seat with 'For Faithful Service' on the Obverse!So which one ave u got then? probably one of his 39/45 war medals? I still have 2 of those on a clasp. The 39/45 star and the Victory medal.Check plse. As regards the cigcase/lighter. I think that was your Grandad Simmons's! Dad H LOST his!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Fergot (like yer do). Those canons and balls could have been movedto t'other end of the moor later. They shifted lots of statues(without telling me !),when I joined the Airworks!