The 'road' from Adel Willows

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Jogon wrote: . I don't think this is Adel Dam, it looks more like the pond ( before it was filled in ) behind the Old Stables, Back Church Lane, Adel.Leodis image ID 3095 ( looking in the opposite direction )    
Attachments
3095.jpg
3095.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The drop away geography and path certainly fit.This is the first I've ever heard of the pond, though I've notices a stream/water spout outfall in the wall.    Thanks chappers, I never knew thathttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

1920's map!    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

good shot phill

Wool

Post by Wool »

Chappers is correct re the postcard actually depicting the former pond behind Adel Stables. The building behind it is the original Yorkgate farmhouse which sadly has been demolished, I think in the 1960's. There is a picture of it on Leodis.Interesting to see Phil's map with the Eddison land marked on it. The Eddison descendants have recently sold off their farm land opposite Adel Church to David Wilson Homes whose planned development will ruin the rural environment of the unique Norman church. It is a shame they have less regard for Adel and its people than did their Victorian forebears.Wool

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Wool wrote: Chappers is correct re the postcard actually depicting the former pond behind Adel Stables. The building behind it is the original Yorkgate farmhouse which sadly has been demolished, I think in the 1960's. There is a picture of it on Leodis.Interesting to see Phil's map with the Eddison land marked on it. The Eddison descendants have recently sold off their farm land opposite Adel Church to David Wilson Homes whose planned development will ruin the rural environment of the unique Norman church. It is a shame they have less regard for Adel and its people than did their Victorian forebears.Wool That doesn't accord to what I'd heard from an apparently reliable source. I'd heard that the local Farmer Parkway Fields Farm (the bungalow on the bend in Otley Road) just before the Hotel had disposed of that land.I'd heard that his family bought the farm (original Farm house just past Kingsley Drive on the left as you exit built Leeds) and land years ago. And that over the years he's sold off land piecemeal to anyone who'll offer him money.I'd understood (perhaps wrongly) that the current development was on fields he'd sold to the local Doctor years back?I further understood that other fields between Adel Willows and Parkway Fields Farm had been sold off to the Donkey Sanctuary up at Weetwood. In fairness to them they could max their revenue by selling those fields off as well?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Did they ever get back the original bronze knocker that was callously stolen from the Adel Baptist Church?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jonleeds wrote: Did they ever get back the original bronze knocker that was callously stolen from the Adel Baptist Church? No, replica made instead

tilly

Post by tilly »

Jogon wrote: jonleeds wrote: Did they ever get back the original bronze knocker that was callously stolen from the Adel Baptist Church? No, replica made instead Its a pity they did not make a replica in the first place and put the original in Leeds museum.But then hindsight is a wonderful thing.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Then they'd have also needed to deposit the paving stones for the path from Church Lane to Long Causeway......