Middleton Bus Garage

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Daphne was my conductress for about 6 months; she was as you say very attractive for her age.The first week I had her we used to have approx 10mins turn around at Roundhay, out would come the cards and the flask. The more the days and duties went on the more I looked forward to Daphne, playing cards and her flask. It was the end of the first week before she told me that there was a large tot of Rum in the coffee flask to keep the chill out.Never had any more, but reminiscing now I can still taste it. Ah, those were the days.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Just remembered a couple more drivers out of Miggy:Stan LingStevie dayGary Taffindercan anyone help with a few more guys who were out of Miggy?, I can remember their first names.....Brian ?    married one of Tommy Hardys daughtersMick ? Guard, I believe he lived in Thorpe or thereabouts, in the 80's he would have probably been in his 30's, had a beard and was dipped by his driver, no names mentioned, but the driver was his cousin!!!!Dave ? was only young when he started in about 82-83, got the nickname Shirley Temple cos of his long blond hair.Dave ? was Bill Coopers mate, they went fishing together, I think he lived down Belle Isle near Grey Goose, once broke his leg by falling off his sons BMXPhil? young guy, blondie coloured hair, played a bit of golf, was a guard late 79, went over driving early 8o I thinkHelp appreciated.    
The longer we live the older we get

amber

Post by amber »

Cdr Martin Bullock, later as Info attendant in Briggate

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Blinkin Eck Amber.........Thanks for that, how could I forget Martin, used to live at top of Churwell with his mum, was a driver but due to illness went back conducting. Well remembered. A lovely guy too, his mum was the president or something of the Uk Elvis fan club, him and his mum once met Elvis at a fan club convention in Vegas, a lot of drivers thought he was not telling the truth but he showed me a photo of him and his mum stood in front of Elvis' table chatting to him, apparently all the presidents of fan clubs from around the world had been invited to this special luncheon. Smashing happy guy.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

BillyBritvic check your email
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Just updated my list, see first post. thanks to all for naming missing names, please keep em coming. If anyone has any pics of drivers or the depot I would love to see them/ use them on the website I am planning. Cheers.

amber

Post by amber »

Hi Billy Thanks for the promotion I was S/Inspector not Garage Manager That came when I left Midd to manage the infamous Mini Bus operation at Sov St . When they sent me round the bend I went to be Garage Manager at the quiet backwater garage Torre. A few names to add Cdr George Beale, Anita Wormald,Ronnie Shann.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Hi Weenie, thanks for your reply, your dad must have been out of Hunslet till 1969, was he still on the busue when Hunslet closed and everyone moved up to Middleton?It's not a name that I remember but I was only out of Miggy from late 1979 to the closure in 86.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

Ey up Amber, I know who you are now, sorry for the confusion over rank, I have rectified your job titile. Bet we could tell a lot of storyies, some funny, some sad, all of them poignant. If a secret Leeds get together is arranged, (I have a load of old maps of Leeds on cd to distribute) we should have a chinwag if you can make it.Whilst writing this another name has sprung to mind.....Ernie Ogden, another smashing bloke.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

And Dennis Hope