Sightseeing Bus in Leeds

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
MrsG

Post by MrsG »

I have to say I'm sceptical about this too. I work in one of the many hotels and I have to say we don't very often get asked about sightseeing stuff; but then again we are almost on the outskirts of Leeds. The women are more interested in the shops Leeds has to offer; and the men either playing golf or going to a pub for pint. (I have to say I always tell them if they're in the city to look down the ginnels where the 'hidden' pubs are!!). Our head concierge has doubts about it too; and he's done his job forever!! We'll see though - we've had an invite to go next week on both the bus and the water cruise and the concierge has already made a list of 'why aren't you going to....' questions!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

To my utter astonishment I found, while looking in Jim Soper's superb volume four of LCT, that "See your city" sightseeing tours operated from 1928 to 1973. I was also amazed at the complex variety of routes to some lovely parts of the area - the outer country reaches of King Lane for example. You learn summat new every day eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

I notice that the BBC Leeds webpage has an article about the open top tour.http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 691761.stm

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Apparently it will cost £7.50 for a trip on the open top bus!And one of the big selling points is that it goes to Clarence Dock (ah well, someone has to, I suppose) and that you get a 'free' ride on the water taxi from there to Neville Street Wharf included.What a waste of cash.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Can you get on and off using the same ticket through the day? If so it's not so bad to get to several sights.    

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Yes it is a hop on/hop off ticket, and as the boat trip costs £3 isn't too bad. However I had a trip round Scarborough Bay for an hour for £3.50, and I don't really think the Aire has quite the same views.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There is a picture of the bus in tonights YEP.It's a 30 year old (W reg) MCW, in red.I hope they have a spare bus parked up somewhere, or a good mechanic on call...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: stutterdog wrote: [I apologise, Blakey for doubting your infallable and superior (I wish I could spell)knowledge! i should really know better. I honestly did not know we had 2 opentoppers on the fleet. Were they both at Bramley? Nay my friend, no need at all to apologise - I have as many memory lapses as anybody else - more each day in fact as the years speed up I think they were both at Bramley, along with most, if not all, of the Leeds Olympians, but may be wrong. He must be really sorry - he did it three times
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Riponian wrote: Yes it is a hop on/hop off ticket, and as the boat trip costs £3 isn't too bad. However I had a trip round Scarborough Bay for an hour for £3.50, and I don't really think the Aire has quite the same views. People throwing up and that you mean?
Industria Omnia Vincit

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Trojan wrote: BLAKEY wrote: stutterdog wrote: [I apologise, Blakey for doubting your infallable and superior (I wish I could spell)knowledge! i should really know better. I honestly did not know we had 2 opentoppers on the fleet. Were they both at Bramley? Nay my friend, no need at all to apologise - I have as many memory lapses as anybody else - more each day in fact as the years speed up I think they were both at Bramley, along with most, if not all, of the Leeds Olympians, but may be wrong. He must be really sorry - he did it three times Shall we count how many times your post is repeated?    
ex-Armley lad