Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: This is another view of the boats. It was not until I downloaded the photos I took today (Feb 25 2014) that I noticed there seems to be a badly eroding bit below and immediately to the right of the footbridge (part of that is in view). It is more noticeable when enlarging the original photo but it is still visible in the reduced-sized photo here. It looks to me as if it could be potentially dangerous if anymore of the ground is eroded away as it could undermine the building.     Hmmm....doesn't look good, does it? Who is responsible for such things nowadays? Presumably whoever succeeded British Waterways?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: This is another view of the boats. It was not until I downloaded the photos I took today (Feb 25 2014) that I noticed there seems to be a badly eroding bit below and immediately to the right of the footbridge (part of that is in view). It is more noticeable when enlarging the original photo but it is still visible in the reduced-sized photo here. It looks to me as if it could be potentially dangerous if anymore of the ground is eroded away as it could undermine the building.     Hmmm....doesn't look good, does it? Who is responsible for such things nowadays? Presumably whoever succeeded British Waterways? On a slightly different note, it must be hellish noisey in those 'executive' apartments, with the river roaring through the arches and the trains and near constant announcements from the station...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

You're right raveydavey about the noise from the station as announcements are quite audible even down by the junction of the River Aire and Leeds & Liverpool Canal. The noise must surely get worse when the main construction of the new entrance starts.As the area of erosion that I've mentioned in an earlier post of mine may not be that evident in the photo that I took on February 25th I thought I would post this enlargement of part of that photo. It may show the eroded part better. I hope I am not being unnecessarily alarmist for the building if the erosion gets worse.    
Attachments
Erosion.jpg
Erosion.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

I would expect a building of this mass and recent date to be constructed on seriously deep piled foundations onto secure foundations, and that surrounding visible old features to have no bearing on its support.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Latest photo of the work under way.Copyright Leeds Civic Trust from their web page herehttps://www.facebook.com/leedscivictrust?fref=photo
Attachments
Capturegg.JPG
Capturegg.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 2329 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is one of several photos that I took at the site on May 20 2014. Note what seems to be some cutting away of bits of the old blocks.
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (134.95 KiB) Viewed 2329 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

A similar view to that in the Leeds Civic Trust photo but a bit more in it and more colourful!
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 2329 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo yesterday (June 4 2014). It shows what I think may be some of the foundations (or at least temporary supports) now in place by the Dark Arches. Note also what seems to be a drilled hole in the partially removed old stonework. The fern is still surviving! Despite all of the artists illustration of the project I still however find it hard to envisage the southern access/egress to the train station.
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (136.53 KiB) Viewed 2329 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo thanks for these.I was in town earlier this week and couldn't resist a look, clever stuff. But then Swinegate water mill under Bibis had timber watercourses from trees felled 12th Century..

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Yes -- thanks for these updates, Leo. I keep meaning to bob down there then forgetting. I suspect I'll be walking or cycling into Leeds along the towpath at some point soon so must remember to look.I wonder whether those are to allow piles to be driven into the bed of the river without having to deal with the water?