Goodbye National Excuse

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: cnosni wrote: Oh the irony!!http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8354358.stm Errr...."occasionally????"Fantastic! Should be the in the dictionary as the definition of irony! I don't know whether to laugh or cry...     Ive learned to laugh
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

BLAKEY wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: They should just give it to Branson for nowt. Let him run it and take a cut of the profits. With the greatest of respect sir, I dread to think of such a thing. When Virgin ran the Aberdeen to Penzance services through Leeds the performance was abominable. Late running and cancellations were legion, and just out of interest eventually I used to always scan the screens in Leeds for the ten past the hour southbound departures -"47 minutes late", "cancelled" and so forth were almost routine.    Also the trains were (still are under the present franchise) totally inadequate. Due to too few carriages, criminal overcrowding to rival the London tube was routine, and the coaches themselves are claustrophobic and have totally inadequate luggage space for such very long jouirneys - often, if just nipping to Wakefield, I've found the gangways full of heavy luggage and loads of long distance people standing. Maybe not then. Nationalise the lot I say.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Reginal Perrin wrote: [Maybe not then. Nationalise the lot I say. Here here sir !! - I think we can safely say that the "ayes" have it.Oooh heck - I hope I'm just imagining things, but I'm sure I heard a plummy Grantham female voice just then saying "NO NO NO"
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

BLAKEY wrote: Trojan wrote: [ Don't be tempted by "warme whallocks" - it's whelks in like a spicey gravy and it's just as disgusting as it sounds!Slagroom on the other hand is whipped cream Thanks for those "Cordon YUK" recommendations Trojan - rest assured that I avoid anything of that sort like the plague its almost certain to contain !! I have nightmares thinking about those huge silver tureens from which brave diners partake of their MOULES - double YUK     Still, good job everyone's not the same or there'd be no sausage and chips left for me Oh, come on, Blakey! Where's your sense of culinary adventure? As one whose business takes me to Brussels three or four times a year, the highlights of such visits are eating at "Le Pre Sale" in Vlaanderstraat. Start with eels in green sauce, followed by a nice horse steak, cooked rare - that's Belgian rare, not British rare, with chips. Delicious, and by Brussels standards, not too expensive.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

trophy

Post by trophy »

i can not see the point in the new barriers there used to be two ticket collecters now there are four barrier attendants.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="Uno HooOh, come on, Blakey! Where's your sense of culinary adventure? As one whose business takes me to Brussels three or four times a year, the highlights of such visits are eating at "Le Pre Sale" in Vlaanderstraat. Start with eels in green sauce, followed by a nice horse steak, cooked rare - that's Belgian rare, not British rare, with chips. Delicious, and by Brussels standards, not too expensive. For sale - no reasonable offer refused - one return Eurostar ticket St. Pancras to Brussels and back, and will throw in a "Big Mac plus large fries" voucher gratis as a sign of goodwill.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

[quotenick="Reginal Perrin"]They should just give it to Branson for nowt. Let him run it and take a cut of the profits.The high prices are just additional back door taxes on business. If I want to get to London afor a meeting of anykind I need to get a £200 train, the company pays. [/quoteOn privatisation Branson took on the worst 2 franchises of the lot.The West Coast Main Line and the Cross Country.Either a very brave or a very foolish man
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

BLAKEY wrote: Oh, come on, Blakey! Where's your sense of culinary adventure? As one whose business takes me to Brussels three or four times a year, the highlights of such visits are eating at "Le Pre Sale" in Vlaanderstraat. Start with eels in green sauce, followed by a nice horse steak, cooked rare - that's Belgian rare, not British rare, with chips. Delicious, and by Brussels standards, not too expensive. For sale - no reasonable offer refused - one return Eurostar ticket St. Pancras to Brussels and back, and will throw in a "Big Mac plus large fries" voucher gratis as a sign of goodwill. Don't forget the mayo on those chips, will you dogduke wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: They should just give it to Branson for nowt. Let him run it and take a cut of the profits.The high prices are just additional back door taxes on business. If I want to get to London afor a meeting of anykind I need to get a £200 train, the company pays. On privatisation Branson took on the worst 2 franchises of the lot.The West Coast Main Line and the Cross Country.Either a very brave or a very foolish man Branson has made a lot of money out of the WCML, both in ticket sales and subsidies. I don't know if it's still the case but at one point that franchise was operating on a "costs+%" basis, meaning he couldn't possibly lose.And thats not to mention the penalty payments he got when the upgrade works continually over-ran.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Came home by train this evening from Leeds, and the departure screens showed everything on time except for three trains - yes that's right, a couple a few minutes late and another over half an hour, and all "Cross Country" so Mr. Branson wasn't the only one seemingly unable to pull those services into shape. Possibly a deeper individual problem than we know about ??Off to Belgium Wednesday for a week, and I'm banking on "Downing Street Rail" to be spot on - the ECML is usually a very efficient and reliable service indeed.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

BLAKEY wrote: Came home by train this evening from Leeds, and the departure screens showed everything on time except for three trains - yes that's right, a couple a few minutes late and another over half an hour, and all "Cross Country" so Mr. Branson wasn't the only one seemingly unable to pull those services into shape. Possibly a deeper individual problem than we know about ??Off to Belgium Wednesday for a week, and I'm banking on "Downing Street Rail" to be spot on - the ECML is usually a very efficient and reliable service indeed. In fairness, ECML has far fewer opportunities for late running, as it isn't continually passing through major rail bottlenecks, whereas cross-country does. ISTR "The Devonian" used to be similarly affected in BR days.That said, I share the opinion about the cross-country trains being uncomfortable and cramped. If I have to travel further than Birmingham, I now use airlines. Flybe & Air Southwest have good services to Southampton, Bristol and Exeter from LBIA, and the fares are reasonable, particularly with early booking. Eastern Airways is good for Southampton too, but pricey - nice experience, though, with fast-track through security, and as much pampering as a short flight allows.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.