The dreaded FIRST BUS!

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Apparently nets weekends bus changes include a new operator on some of Worst's Leeds services. Centrebus will be taking over some routes completely and others just for the 9-5 with Worst still providing the unsociable hour and weekends. I wonder how happy Worst are about having to provide a service at the least lucrative times (in fares at least) while giving it up when most people are travelling? More details at the end of this very long linkhttp://www.wymetro.com/travelnews/ServiceChang ... odifyGuest
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Forgot to mention it ain't that great for those who use the prepaid "Worst Card" as opposed to a Metro Card in monetary terms either. I wonder if better service will ensue and compensate the monetary inconvenience
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Metro say you can transfer Worst bus stuff for 50p a journey. So more Metro cards bought. Just checked the Metro site and it's all North Leeds routes going to Centrebus. Will their buses be just as clapped out as Worst or new or newish stuff? I am really glad that my bus travelling days will be limited. (pun)

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Centrebus have recently appeared on several services in Halifax and their buses all seem to be new - certainly no older than a couple of years. They also now operate the airport service too (757) and that is all new dedicated buses as well.Their website doesn't tell you much about them at all, other than "Centrebus in West Yorkshire operates as Huddersfield Bus a Company jointly owned with Arriva"To be honest, anything that breaks up Worst's monopoly on services in Leeds can only be a good thing.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: They also now operate the airport service too (757) and that is all new dedicated buses as well.To be honest, anything that breaks up Worst's monopoly on services in Leeds can only be a good thing. Sorry raveydavey, but the silver buses on the Airport service are nowhere near new - at least the ones I've seen and travelled on are "03" registered and not in spectacular condition.    Its amazing how convincing a smart coat of silver paint can be. I understand from someone "in tte know" that the newly acquired services are to be operated at least partly by some ex Londoin area light Dennis Darts which are unlikely to be up to much - time will tell.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

My son informed me about a rumour that the purple slugs are going to be taken off the no 4, and are possibly heading for the leafy suburbs of North Leeds. Anyone shed any light on this?
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Riponian wrote: My son informed me about a rumour that the purple slugs are going to be taken off the no 4, and are possibly heading for the leafy suburbs of North Leeds. Anyone shed any light on this? I've not heard that one. I know that a lot of people are travelling for free on the 4 at the moment due to problems with the ticket machines (as witnessed in the YEP letters page).I can't see that Worst would be happy to let that continue. Not too sure about them going to north Leeds though - they've only just taken all the old bendy buses off the 1 route from Lawnswood and replaced them with double deckers.Don't forget that the 4 plies one of the proposed supertram routes and the ftr's were a deliberate spoiler from Worst to the DFT when Metro / LCC were trying to get funding for the tram. Also worth noting that Worst got the council and Metro to stump up a fortune in modifying the road layout to accommodate them on this specific route.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Riponian wrote: My son informed me about a rumour that the purple slugs are going to be taken off the no 4, and are possibly heading for the leafy suburbs of North Leeds. Anyone shed any light on this? I sincerely hope not Riponian - there are enough aircraft passing right over these flats on the way in and out of LBA as it is, without any further increase in frequency. Am I being sarcastic ?? - NO. Well First did insist on trying to fool us with terms like "pilot" and "cockpit" when they introduced the ridiculous heaps. I've yet to see a proper pilot with shirt hanging out, right arm dangling down the outside of the plane, civilian basebll cap and a fluorescent yellow jacket borrowed from one of the runway workers. The purple slugs must hold the World record for the obscene ratio between enormous size and tiny amount of seats.I hope the "North Leeds leafy suburbs" rumour is just that - we've only just got rid of the "budget" version from the number 1 service - they were only ten years old and I'm told that most of them are now taking up space at Hunslet PARK (not a blade of grass for miles) and are languishing in a sorry state. Mind you, if London Boris had been here he would have had rid of them even earlier.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Riponian wrote: My son informed me about a rumour that the purple slugs are going to be taken off the no 4, and are possibly heading for the leafy suburbs of North Leeds. Anyone shed any light on this? I would guess enough time has elapsed since First promised 'Ths is the future transport for Leeds' plan to scupper the supertram bid. The initial big cost gamble they played to keep the monopoly on transport in Leeds worked for them. The Slugs have done there job, they kept supertram at bay, and denied the people of Leeds a transport system to be proud of in the process I would think First will be after getting them off the road a.s.a.p now there job is done, It will have to be done in a crafty, and plausible way as i'm sure they are very aware of the outcry to follow. Afterall why should they run slugs when they carry less passengers than a normal bus, they have to pay the wages of three people instead of one, and the travel time on them is just the same? I think there days are numbered myself.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Just heard they're sticking the Green Zone ticket up to £12 a week, a mere 20% increase, I'll seriously look at walking up to Armley again. That's taking the piddle.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.