Documentary on Underground Tram System - HELP NEEDED

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
TerryAshby

Post by TerryAshby »

Hi everyone my names Terry Ashby I'm a student film maker who has a production team that has just been commissioned to make a documentary on the proposed plans for the tram system to go underground in Leeds in the 30's. It was reading this very forum that struck my interest in it and having contacted the council are talking to Neil Hudson of the Yorkshire Evening Post as he produced an article on the plans.We are looking for as much information as possible as well as archives for the research for the documentary. We are also looking for people who consider themselves knowledgeable in the subject to appear on camera for short interviews.It will be about a ten minute documentary and we want to explore the idea of whether it is felt such a system would be welcome today and this will have discussions with members of the public, MPs as well as historians and enthusiasts such as yourselves. The more people we can get on board in terms of research the better. The first part will be historical context showing plans and explaning the scheme then the middle will look at the alternative solutions such as the bus routes and then the 3rd part will focus on whether it is suitable and a welcome system today.Research is ongoing for the next fortnight and shooting is scheduled for the week before Easter .I hope some of you want to get involved and I am sure many of you have a wealth of information. Add to this thread with info, or email me and if you wish to appear on camera and feel you have a valid point for discussion email me and we can arrange a meeting.Great forum guys, very informative and very interesting.Cheers, tel

trophy

Post by trophy »

there is a bit of info in books LEEDS TRANSPORT VOLUMES 1 TO 4 by j soper published by leeds transport historical society.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This site is a bit of a swine to search but I think you'll find something way back. It sounds as though you've already done a little research here already, unlike some who simply come begging hoping to make a Really Good Production ( )Hope you get some useful pointers.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Wasnt there some talk about the underlying strata of the city centre being unsuitable for the project,even if had have gone ahead?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

TerryAshby

Post by TerryAshby »

Trophy thank you ever so much for pointing me in the direction of them books, i am finding leeds transport volume three most helpful.Does anyone happen to know anything more about the author, J.Soper? or the Leeds Transport Historical Society I am struggling to find contacts for them and it would be nice to invite them to talk on camera about the project.What I found that suprised me is there was a planned project in the early 30s which was then abandoned and then a newer one later on in the 30s which is where the cross cut of the city square station comes from. When i've finished my research i'll put it all up on here. I find the strata comment interesting although I have been through the archives and cannot find any more on this, do you know where you come to hear of this? I've been going through the archives at the central library with a member of staff and he has searched for information before and seems to think it is very sparse for some reason. Again any more information, pictures, contacts, interviewees. Or anything else please don't hesistate to contact me.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

TerryAshby wrote: Does anyone happen to know anything more about the author, J.Soper? or the Leeds Transport Historical Society I am struggling to find contacts for them and it would be nice to invite them to talk on camera about the project. I've found a link to the Society through the Charities Commission website. Although there are no contact details for Jim Soper, there is a phone number for Bernard Donald, one of the other trusteees. Perhaps he can help?http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/sh ... 371594I'll be interested to see the results of your research and thanks for sharing anything you find with Secret Leeds!

ads

Post by ads »

Try hitting the Council - freedom of information act etc. If it's happened or been looked at, the Council must have records somewhere. As has been said somewhere before, allegedly the model for the station under city square is somewhere in the Civic Hall archives

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

You Won't find any thing in the council or civic hall they don't want you down in these old tunnels. they was a man who used to go down all these tunnels he was the rat catcher hes the best to tell you.But those who know don't tell those who don't know tell
biggee

simong

Post by simong »

Wasn't the project part of a city plan in the 1930s? I'm sure that came out of one of the discussions on here. The city archives should have copies of those.

railnut

Post by railnut »

The Leeds Transport Historical Society meets every second Monday of the month at the social club in Saxton Gardens at 19-30. If your quick there is a meeting tonight. See you there?