Leeds Blimp/Airship?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

I vaguely remember a large blim/airship going over Leeds very frequently in the 1990's. I'm sure it either said goodyear or was something to do with the lottery (Although, the logo's are similar).Does anybody else remember this?It always seemed to be heading towards Leeds Bradford Airport.
Simon -H-

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm fairly sure it was the Goodyear airship, which was used for a time by Sky Sports (if that makes any sense!)In the early days of Sky's football coverage, the airship used to attend the Sunday afternoon / Monday night games and provide pictures from up on high - I don't think it lasted too long but it was certainly seen over Elland Road and I spotted it on more than one occasion over Leeds heading towards the North-east when there was a game on at Sid James Park, or the like, that evening.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

This could possibly be the answer!The probable reason for the location where I saw it, was because my house looked towards the flight path so I should imagine that is the reason I saw it coming in for landing.
Simon -H-

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Now talking of airships, Would anyone know if any of the German Airships appeared over leeds before the war started, like the Zeppelin for example, I have seen pics of it flying over London around 1937/38.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: I'm fairly sure it was the Goodyear airship, which was used for a time by Sky Sports (if that makes any sense!)In the early days of Sky's football coverage, the airship used to attend the Sunday afternoon / Monday night games and provide pictures from up on high - I don't think it lasted too long but it was certainly seen over Elland Road and I spotted it on more than one occasion over Leeds heading towards the North-east when there was a game on at Sid James Park, or the like, that evening. Every time i see the word Goodyear i always think about the old joke.What is the difference between a car tyre and having sex 365 days on the run.Ones a Goodyear, the others an excellent one.Bum Bum
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

great punchline! lolThere used to be WW2 airships I believe on the outskirts of Roundhay or somewhere close to the City Centre outside a bus depot I think.....I have seen a picture on Leodis and I will get it to see if I am wrong...(As usual!)
Simon -H-

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

simon2710 wrote: great punchline! lolThere used to be WW2 airships I believe on the outskirts of Roundhay or somewhere close to the City Centre outside a bus depot I think.....I have seen a picture on Leodis and I will get it to see if I am wrong...(As usual!) I wonder whether that might have been the balloon that used to appear on Soldiers Field during the summers for static line parachute training for the (?Territorial) Army?They used a tethered baloon with a basket. The balloon itself looked suspiously like an ex WW2 barrage baloonI can remember going upwith my dad in the 70s and early 80s to watch and seeing the occasional ankle or wrist being broken or most memorably a pair of size 12 combat boots going through the windscreen of a parked Morris Marina

simong

Post by simong »

edgey2001 wrote: Now talking of airships, Would anyone know if any of the German Airships appeared over leeds before the war started, like the Zeppelin for example, I have seen pics of it flying over London around 1937/38.     Yes, I haven't found any pictures (and would love to see one) but the Hindenburg passed through Leeds in May 1938 en route from New York to Frankfurt and flew up the Aire valley at a low altitude. I can't find the quote now but I read an eyewitness account from someone from around Rawdon who said that the ship was below them in the valley at that point, which would have been something to see. The airship passed though again about a month later, which raised questions in Parliament as whether a foreign aircraft should be flying over the country like that.Of course it has since transpired that the ship was indeed carrying out reconnaissance.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There was a series of articles about it in the YEP not that long ago I'm sure. They not only had pictures of the airship, but also some of the pictures taken from it, although I'm not too sure. One of them claimed to show Kirkstall Road and Burley Road, but I couldn't see Yorkshire TV anywhere.....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: There was a series of articles about it in the YEP not that long ago I'm sure. They not only had pictures of the airship, but also some of the pictures taken from it, although I'm not too sure. One of them claimed to show Kirkstall Road and Burley Road, but I couldn't see Yorkshire TV anywhere..... Never mind YTV,could you see the Sheesh Mahal and the CArdigan Arms?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com