Tram Conductors 1906

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

I've found a photograph on the Leodis photo site which may include my Grandfather William Dickinson Greenfield The photograph was taken on 9 July 1906 and was of "... one of the first tramcars from Leeds to Rodley at 5.30 am. The number of the tram 155 is on the front and staff at the Leeds depot are gathered around ...". "The driver's name is stated on the photograph as W. Booth and the conductor was W. Greenfield." Leodis: Subject ID:2002913_47507876My aunt Lilian Dickinson Greenfield was born on 6 July 1906 at Clifton Terrace, Leeds, and on her birth certificate grandpa's occupation is "Tramway Conductor".Would anyone out there have any idea of how many tramconductors were employed in 1906 - what would be the chance of their being "another W Greenfield" being employed by Leeds Tramways in 1906?Dad was also a conductor for a couple of years before the War and according to Mum as he passed our house on Harrogate Road Chapel Allerton he would pull the bell to tell her to bring his "break" up to him at the turnaround. He would then, ever the gentleman, drop her off outside the house on his way back into town.

munki

Post by munki »

Sandra - the nice people at www.leodis.net have said that it is OK for people to post pics from their website here. Is the one you are referring to?
Attachments
2002913_47507876.jpg
2002913_47507876.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thats the one ... thanks Munki. Looks like the driver wouldn't have had a good day if it was rainy, windy or snowing ... and when the sun was in his eyes it was probably worse! At least the conductor could stand under cover.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

What a great picture, you can almost hear the banter between those fellas