Wallace Arnold

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

One of the "heavier" Sunday papers - might have been 'The Independent on Sunday' - used to feature a column entitled "The World of Wallace Arnold", in which the columnist expounded views on the state of the universe from the supposed persona of an imaginary Yorkshireman. I recall seeing it only once. Did anyone else ever see it?The eponymous company was still in business at that time, so presumably permitted use of its name - or, at any rate, didn't sue!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

A nice old pic of a WA coach outing has just been added to Leodishttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 107_169554
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

BLAKEY wrote: Yes that's quite right - the "minimum fare" system was widespread on every road out of the City, and was general throughout the Country.     LOL - somethings never change, on the routes we share into Leeds with First bus (we, being Arriva) we operate a reduced fare system to match their fares, usually 10p per increment less than our normal stage rises.Weird thing is, it makes no real difference as the majority either have our or first's travel passes or day tickets etc.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: TROJAN WROTE :-"Yes. It's gone now - it's houses, however the place on the other side of the road where Hargreaves stopped (White Bull I think) is still there and operating. "Here is a priceless picture of "the other side of the road" - showing a line of Samuel Ledgard charabancs (his original fleet) - the picture is taken almost certainly about 1914, and its just mindblowing to think of all that's happened in the World since then, especially as you drive past what is viritually unaltered today - time has really stood still at that side of the road in Gisburn !! Blakey, have you seen the Renault Megane advert? It features The White Bull     
Industria Omnia Vincit

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

Reading this thread my uncle used to drive wallace Arnold coaches his name was Clifford Holt any one who knew him I would love to know.
Ex Leeds Lass

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="Trojan"] BLAKEY wrote: TROJAN WROTE :-"Yes. It's gone now - it's houses, however the place on the other side of the road where Hargreaves stopped (White Bull I think) is still there and operating. " I haven't noticed it Trojan, but will look out for it now - thanks.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

FLOJO wrote: Reading this thread my uncle used to drive wallace Arnold coaches his name was Clifford Holt any one who knew him I would love to know. The name is vaguely familiar FLOJO - was he by any chance at Leeds Depot betwen 1963 and 1969 ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

BLAKEY wrote: FLOJO wrote: Reading this thread my uncle used to drive wallace Arnold coaches his name was Clifford Holt any one who knew him I would love to know. The name is vaguely familiar FLOJO - was he by any chance at Leeds Depot betwen 1963 and 1969 ?? Yes Blakey it was in the 60s when I remember him being there.
Ex Leeds Lass

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

FLOJO wrote: BLAKEY wrote: FLOJO wrote: Reading this thread my uncle used to drive wallace Arnold coaches his name was Clifford Holt any one who knew him I would love to know. The name is vaguely familiar FLOJO - was he by any chance at Leeds Depot betwen 1963 and 1969 ?? Yes Blakey it was in the 60s when I remember him being there. I will ask a friend - not many of us left now - who has a phenomanel memory - he may have a clue.

peterg

Post by peterg »

While the thread is about Wallace Arnold, since Yorkshire Woollen has been mentioned, I seem to recall that that their Huddersfield via Batley and Huddersfield Direct services started out from Sovereign Street and called at Aire Street. We used to go to Batley, where an aunt lived.