Wallace Arnold

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

cnosni wrote: Phil,here you go matehttp://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=56615 You come up trumps there mate. Just the ticket 'pardon the pun' Thanks
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: cnosni wrote: Phil,here you go matehttp://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=56615 You come up trumps there mate. Just the ticket 'pardon the pun' Thanks Now then Phil,dont quote me on the title of the program here but there has been a local ITV series,usually on at 730 in the evening,that showed old cine films of how we used to be (actually is that the title of the program,im not sure).One night me and the boss were watching it and there was some footage of the Wallace Arnold coach park between Kirkgate and The Calls/Corn exchange.Our lass wondered what was going on when i jumped out of the chair and just pointed at the screen,not saying a word!Its like id gone back to being a 5-8 year old again for a micro second.so there is some footage out there of the old days (well 70s) for Wallace Arnold.Phil,once again youve set off a crusade.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

slw

Post by slw »

There is also another book on the history of Wallace Arnold.Wallace Arnold Holidays By Coach and Illustrated History Author : Stewart J Brown (It's for sale on Ebay at the moment)    

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah great stuff. Well I only wanted a bit of info for something I'm hoping to do. It's nothing major as there isn't much left of W&A still out there these days. I still remember the days of the coaches from the calls Chris. It was so un organised but it all added to the holiday didn't it? Nobody really had cars in those days, Taxis were out of the question. It was poor mum & dad lumping suitcases on the bus & the conductor having to help lol. Great days mate!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: Yeah great stuff. Well I only wanted a bit of info for something I'm hoping to do. It's nothing major as there isn't much left of W&A still out there these days. I still remember the days of the coaches from the calls Chris. It was so un organised but it all added to the holiday didn't it? Nobody really had cars in those days, Taxis were out of the question. It was poor mum & dad lumping suitcases on the bus & the conductor having to help lol. Great days mate! BL**** hell Phil,were you on the same buses as me?No car or taxi to get to WA,just a bus on Compton Road opposite the library/Compton Arms,suitcases and all.They were great days,definitely.We had nowt and all my mam and dad did all year was save up for two weeks away,well worth it.Now its a bit easier,and funnily enough a lot less exciting than flying cos going to WA every summer was a tradition,a prelude to a lomg distance journey to far off exotic places.priceless.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No we were up Seacroft then. Was it the 67 that ran down past the cherry tree? I remember the old buses struggled round that corner near the Red Lion a bit. Bring back the good old days, they were hard but fun Mate all this good old 'British spirit' has gone, were too spoilt & soft. No fun I agree!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

cnosni wrote: Chrism wrote: Not much info here either Phil, I remember getting up v. early on weekends to go down Wally Arnolds to get the coach,with my Mam and my Gran, and have the odd day out in Scarborough, Brid', or Filey. We used to stop half way on the A64 at a cafe called (I think) The Four Alls, it was a huge place (I think, things seem bigger when you're younger!!). Then on to Scabby for the day. Yeah the cafe was huge,but its apub thats called the four alls and is still there.I used to love going through the ginnel off kirkgate into the Wallace Arnold coach yard (which is now an office car park.)It meant i was going on a big journey to far off places such as Rhyll,Mablethorpe and the mecca of all holiday destinations,Great Yarmouth.That journey was so long that we had to catch the coach at about 10 o clock the Friday night before,stopping of at a pub called the Cross Keys somewhere in Norfolk for a break.Love to know where that pub was.Im not as excited about getting on a plane now as i was getting on a Wallace Aernold coach then. The stopping place en route to Scarborough, Filey, Whitby, was not the Four Alls - which is still there. but the Hazelsbush - which isn't.It did seem enormous, and on an August Saturday, the coach park would be chocka with coaches from all over including Wallace Arnolds.I was born and brought up in Morley, and lived on King Street. At Morley Feast Wallace Arnold operated services to all the major destinations from King Street.They also operated a service to Great Yarmouth, which left the Queen Hotel in Queen Street Morley at 10-00 pm. It picked up at Sun Lane Wakefield, and then travelled to Yarmouth, with stops at Bawtry, Newark and Sleaford arriving in Yarmouth at 6-00 am the following day - this was in the days before motorways and the journey from Morley, to Bawtry on the first leg, via Wakey and Doncaster took about 2 hours, with similar intervals between the various other stops. My first holiday without my parents, overnight to Yarmouth on a coach largely full of people about my own age - including a girl called Janet who I fell madly in love with - quite an adventure.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: cnosni wrote: Chrism wrote: Not much info here either Phil, I remember getting up v. early on weekends to go down Wally Arnolds to get the coach,with my Mam and my Gran, and have the odd day out in Scarborough, Brid', or Filey. We used to stop half way on the A64 at a cafe called (I think) The Four Alls, it was a huge place (I think, things seem bigger when you're younger!!). Then on to Scabby for the day. Yeah the cafe was huge,but its apub thats called the four alls and is still there.I used to love going through the ginnel off kirkgate into the Wallace Arnold coach yard (which is now an office car park.)It meant i was going on a big journey to far off places such as Rhyll,Mablethorpe and the mecca of all holiday destinations,Great Yarmouth.That journey was so long that we had to catch the coach at about 10 o clock the Friday night before,stopping of at a pub called the Cross Keys somewhere in Norfolk for a break.Love to know where that pub was.Im not as excited about getting on a plane now as i was getting on a Wallace Aernold coach then. The stopping place en route to Scarborough, Filey, Whitby, was not the Four Alls - which is still there. but the Hazelsbush - which isn't.It did seem enormous, and on an August Saturday, the coach park would be chocka with coaches from all over including Wallace Arnolds.I was born and brought up in Morley, and lived on King Street. At Morley Feast Wallace Arnold operated services to all the major destinations from King Street.They also operated a service to Great Yarmouth, which left the Queen Hotel in Queen Street Morley at 10-00 pm. It picked up at Sun Lane Wakefield, and then travelled to Yarmouth, with stops at Bawtry, Newark and Sleaford arriving in Yarmouth at 6-00 am the following day - this was in the days before motorways and the journey from Morley, to Bawtry on the first leg, via Wakey and Doncaster took about 2 hours, with similar intervals between the various other stops. My first holiday without my parents, overnight to Yarmouth on a coach largely full of people about my own age - including a girl called Janet who I fell madly in love with - quite an adventure. That pick up in Morley must have been after the departure from Leeds,so the arrival in the early hours in yarmouth makes sense.Cant remember all those intervenining points you mentioned cos i will have been so young i would have been asleep.But waking up in the morning on holiday is what i remember,chuffing magic.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

My recollections of Wallies Trollies are of trips to Scarborough with my grandparents which always involved a stop off at the Hop Grove. Everyone would pile off the coach and what seemed like hundreds of waitresses would be pouring out tea into white china cups and saucers for the marauding hordes. You had about 15 minutes and then the driver would be getting agitated and there were always huge queues of women for the Ladies. On the way there someone would always point out the cricket ground and talk about the autumn festival. If you were fortunate and were taken by train you'd pass Plaxtons where the workers would wave at the train in a desultory fashion as they sat outside on their tea-break.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Geordie-exile wrote: My recollections of Wallies Trollies are of trips to Scarborough with my grandparents which always involved a stop off at the Hop Grove. Everyone would pile off the coach and what seemed like hundreds of waitresses would be pouring out tea into white china cups and saucers for the marauding hordes. You had about 15 minutes and then the driver would be getting agitated and there were always huge queues of women for the Ladies. On the way there someone would always point out the cricket ground and talk about the autumn festival. If you were fortunate and were taken by train you'd pass Plaxtons where the workers would wave at the train in a desultory fashion as they sat outside on their tea-break.     Where was the Hop Grove Geordie?