Wallace Arnold

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

peterg wrote: While the thread is about Wallace Arnold, since Yorkshire Woollen has been mentioned, I seem to recall that that their Huddersfield via Batley and Huddersfield Direct services started out from Sovereign Street and called at Aire Street. We used to go to Batley, where an aunt lived. I may be wrong peterg, its a long time ago now, but I'm pretty sure there was no link between the two Leeds termini of the YWD. Those which started in Sovereign Street did a "U" turn under the dark arches before heading for Dewsbury Road. The others from Queen Street arrived inwards via Thirsk Row and Wellington Street and set off from Leeds via City Square, Aire Street and Whitehall Road. The service networks have altered considerably over the years and as I say I well be wrong now but it would be interesting if anyone can throw a more accurate light on this.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

peterg

Post by peterg »

I believe you are right Blakey, the YWD Huddersfield buses started out from Queen Street.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

The 218,219 and 221 (Huddersfield to Leeds) used to terminate at the junction of Whitehall Road and Thirsk Row (at the back of the then Wellesley Hotel). Then they went around City Square without picking up and took the first passengers on Aire Street. This was 1976 to 1980.

peterg

Post by peterg »

anthonydna wrote: The 218,219 and 221 (Huddersfield to Leeds) used to terminate at the junction of Whitehall Road and Thirsk Row (at the back of the then Wellesley Hotel). Then they went around City Square without picking up and took the first passengers on Aire Street. This was 1976 to 1980. I was referring to the 40's and 50's, when they terminated at Thirsk Row, then went on to Queen Street as start and the next stop was Aire Street. At that time they only had double figure route numbers.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

peterg wrote: anthonydna wrote: The 218,219 and 221 (Huddersfield to Leeds) used to terminate at the junction of Whitehall Road and Thirsk Row (at the back of the then Wellesley Hotel). Then they went around City Square without picking up and took the first passengers on Aire Street. This was 1976 to 1980. I was referring to the 40's and 50's, when they terminated at Thirsk Row, then went on to Queen Street as start and the next stop was Aire Street. At that time they only had double figure route numbers. Quite right peterg - we oldies must stick together LOL LOL. The 2** route numbers were introduced with the County wide scheme devised by Metro after 1974. It is a good and logical scheme to be fair, but does take away some of the heritage nostalgia for those of us who can remember "the good old days."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

So what did it mean when a bus had 'Duplicate' displayed?    

peterg

Post by peterg »

Geordie-exile wrote: So what did it mean when a bus had 'Duplicate' displayed?     If I remember rightly a "Duplicate" was a second bus put on to reinforce an over busy line, particularly during the war years when the regular bus couldn't cope with the number of passengers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

If Wallace Arnold coach depot was in the Calls, what was the coach depot in Wellington St (or thereabouts) just round the corner from the railway station? Circa 1965 this.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

peterg wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: So what did it mean when a bus had 'Duplicate' displayed?     If I remember rightly a "Duplicate" was a second bus put on to reinforce an over busy line, particularly during the war years when the regular bus couldn't cope with the number of passengers. Please correct me if I am wrong. In th fifties LCT ran duplicates on the 52/53 routes, but not from Tingley Mills/Cross Hall to Meanwood - only from the Fountain Inn at Morley to the Corn Exchange

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

"Duplicates" have always been a regular feature of bus and coach operation right from the earliest days. When strict and sane licensing was in force from 1930 until the infamous "De-regulation" of October 1986 duplicates had to be within three minutes ahead of the normal timetabled vehicle. There could be more than one extra vehicle, often for a part of the route only until the main one could cope. As most will gather (yawns permitted at the back of the room ) transport in all its aspects has been my life's work and absorbing interest. Some operators used the term "relief" instead of "duplicate." Just a couple of illustrations of the practice may be worth mentioning. When I worked for Samuel Ledgard in the 1950s/60s, when passengers were still plentiful, duplicates were frequently necessary and were widespread, weekends included. My favourite was the 5.30pm from Leeds (King Street) to Ilkley when no less than four fully laden vehicles were needed as follows :- 5.27 to Rawdon Crossroads, 5.28 to Guiseley White Cross, 5.29 to Ilkley and 5.30 to Ilkley - what a fine procession they made. Earlier, when I was in the RAF at Patrington the last East Yorkshire (one of the most superb Firms ever) bus from Hull to Withernsea at weekends had to have a duplicate (provided by Hull Depot and always a fascinating vintage vehicle for good measure). The method adopted was for a "census" to be carried out rapidly at each village and as soon as the combined remaining load could be accommodated on the Withernsea Depot bus those on the Hull Depot vehicle would be transferred and the latter would scuttle back to Anlaby Road Depot.