Secret Cycling

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Ten most dangerous Leeds road junctions for Leeds cyclists.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-4367266

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

SL Cyclists:-Does your 'real world' experience match the YEP's word processing of Levenes Solicitors marketing/press release? The 'comments' bit confirms my view of what looks like low grade lazy advertorial.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Some roads are hugely intimidating, especially during rush hour so there are few cyclists on them. Stanningly road and Armley gyratory being good examples and that's why you don't see much in the way of incidents.Not too surprised about accidents along Kirkstall road, Kirkstall road is full of commuters on mobiles - half asleep in the morning and in a rush on the evening.It'd be interesting to add in the vehicle/vehicle collisions on the map and I would bet that the accident hotspots line up extremely well on the roads where there are few turn off - tail-end bumps.The issue with Woodhouse lane up to Headingly is no surprise at all, lots of students, lots of commuters and lots of impatience.Road is too narrow as well, you get overtaken by a bus but the following car doesn't see you and cuts close Outside the Merrion centre is a real problem with vehicles turning in and out of the car park as well as lots of pedestrians and buses.The Roundhay road/Easterly road junction is bad any time of day with cars taking to the wrong lanes and chopping - there is so much going on around there its easy for a cyclist not to notice something or not to be noticed.I am a bit surprised at the Sheepscar interchange, I'm surprised because you'd have to be insane as a cyclist to juggle with the traffic there it is bad enough for a car driver if you are not familiar with the layout.The hot spot just outside the Arndale centre at Crossgates is no surprise, lots of cars and buses, bus stops pedestrians, end of a cycle lane that pushes riders into traffic and right outside those takeaway shops with vehicles stopping up quick, along with vehicles trying to change lanes.

jim

Post by jim »

Not to mention the situation that many cyclists nowadays believe that traffic lights don't apply to them.........    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jim wrote: Not to mention the situation that many cyclists nowadays believe that traffic lights don't apply to them.........     jimI drive, walk + cycle. I agree with you.Waiting behind a bus in traffic at shaw lane a middle aged sensible "looking" cyclist mounted the pavement, crossed riding at shaw Ln pedestrian then back at the chemist in front of the bus then straight through a red at North Ln.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Apoligies to all for the brutal chopping, just need to respond to several of you and didnt want a massive post! Leodian wrote: ............. The Aire Valley Towpath is set to be extended by 2 kilometres, taking it "into the heart of Leeds"......... mhoulden wrote: I'm guessing the "new" cycle lane will cover the bit between where Water Lane comes to an end at Bridge End, and where the cycle route starts again by the Royal Armouries. ....... I think it is actually the section on the Leeds/Liverpool that will be done as Leodian says, that section is known as the 'Aire Valley Towpath Route' but I do agree the section on the Aire/Calder Navigation is in worse condition. Riponian wrote: I agree getting off Kirkstall Road into Wellington Street is a pain. ....... I think you have the same approach as me and its slightly better now the resurfacing is complete so the surface is smoother. Like you say move early to the 'middle' lane and stay in the middle of that lane - its a bit nerve racking the first couple of times esp if you have impatient drivers behind you but its better than the cyclists I see 'riding the line' and been overtaken on both sides. Take control of the lane, and hopefully those behind you won't be too impatient at being 'held up' for that 1/2 mile stretch or so. (we all have to stop 50 yards further on for the lights anyway lol!) jonleeds wrote: <SNIP> Couldnt agree more with you! Rising bus fare and slow travel times are why I started cycling, and yes the 'official' routes are madness for anyone trying to get somewhere in a reasonable time. They are fine for an afternoon tootle around leeds but everything else (e.g. commuting) - useless! BarFly wrote: ..............I shouldn't admit it here but I don't think Leeds is very suited to cycling -- not to suggest people ought not to do it but I recall from when I did use a bike that everywhere in Leeds invloves an uphill section at some point, even if you only had uphill sections to get to it.     Ah come on stop being lazy lol! I see people of all shapes and sizes aged from 8 to 80 out and out about on their bikes, you dont have to be Chris Boardman to use a bike just sit back and enjoy the ride! Jogon wrote: SL Cyclists:-Does your 'real world' experience match the YEP's word processing of Levenes Solicitors marketing/press release? The 'comments' bit confirms my view of what looks like low grade lazy advertorial. Not really, I use 5 of those junctions daily and am not dead yet! It'd be nice to see the full details of these and how they have analysed it TBH electricaldave wrote: Some roads are hugely intimidating, especially during rush hour........ Its not just the 'busy rush hour roads' - I was cycling part of the 'West Yorkshire Cycle Route' at the weekend which is advertised as being on quiet country roads/off road. It is, but its also very scary that on these so called 'quiet country roads' just how fast the traffic is.There may be less of it, but on a smaller road a car travelling with no other traffic to slow it, will often do 50-70 on a 'national limit' as many of these lanes are.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Regret getting rid of that 'special bike' & brochure you chose it from?Might be here, there's some Leeds Woodrup and B Jacksonhttp://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/
Attachments
__TFMF_mcn1epqkq2tezi45nfzg413t_adee2424-30df-44ae-af8c-67847a21a57d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mcn1epqkq2tezi45nfzg413t_adee2424-30df-44ae-af8c-67847a21a57d_0_main.jpg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

1962 Poster

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

And here is what he would have got.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

The "Sky Ride" is coming up soon, so there will be a lot of cyclists on the road who aren't normally on them, so watch out for that.Having sampled the resurfaced canal towpath for a while, it's good, but I'll be back on the roads when we have the first frost as it has the potential to be a little interesting in cold weather. Even with that route, you have three cycle crossings to go over to get onto Wellington St going back into the city and they seem to time in quite well.I would say that the knobbly pavement bits near the crossings are fairly deadly in the rain, they are lovely and slippery, adding a bit of interest to your ride (and the odd bruise).As for progress, I usually beat the no 5 to town going home and if it leaves the station same time as I do, I pop out onto Viaduct Rd just as it passes by.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.