Surviving Leeds city transport buses

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

peterg wrote: . I have located one, JUB 727 Crossley, but I have since seen that there are two versions of this bus, one had a Fleet nº 727 and the other one (the one I have bought) has Fleet nº 701 (which I seem to think is the right one). Can anybody clarify this fact for me? You are quite right peterg - the number 727 was an unforgiveable "clanger" by the model manufacturer as that was of course the registration number digits. Admittedly it was the normal later practice at LCT to have the registration and fleet numbers matching but this never applied to this solitary Crossley which was new in 1946 as number 27, being renumbered later as 701 to make room in the single decker series for the two Headingley depot Leyland PS1s 27/28, registered MNW 85/6.701 was the forerunner in 1946 of a later batch of twenty Crossleys in 1949, numbers 702 - 721, MNW 702 - 721.701 was withdrawn on October 31st 1959.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

peterg

Post by peterg »

Thanks for the information, at least it is evidence that my memory is not all that bad. Regarding these models, there is the curious fact that on a sheet listing these models, apart from fleet nº 701, this model is listed as having fleet nº 27 but the photos show 727.

peterg

Post by peterg »

Still with reference to JUB 727, am I asking too much if I request for more information: I have been telling my family that as a youth and young man I had travelled on this bus, therefore, the question is: did this bus ever operate on the 39, 40 and 41, or possibly 38 routes during its lifetime?Also, does anybody have a photograph of this bus or know where I can get one? I say this because I have the photograph of the Q bus and the Ledgard people kindly provided me with photos of the old Titan and the new Regent, both outside the respective works before delivery and in service on Leeds streets.Another comment regarding previous comments about deregulated bus services. We were in Leeds in October for the first time in 10 years and used the buses a bit. The first day we knew nothing about the reduced fares but the second time, when we had our three eldest grandchildren with us, I was about to make the same mistake of asking for five tickets to Eastgate when the driver himself kindly informed me of the fasmily rate, so we had a great saving. Also, while waiting for our bus, I observed the registration numbers and First had a good number of 2011 and 2012 registrations.Finally, I would say I d not like the Atlanteans and similar types of bodywork and I shall withdraw the one I have got from my railway layout and replace it with the Crossley, which is more in keeping with the era of the modelling. Regards to all.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Peterq - now then, I've just spoken to a driver who was at Torre Road depot all his working life and, yes, all twenty one of the Crossleys worked on services 38/39/40/41 and also the East End Park circulars 61/62. The Crossleys were all transferred to the new Seacroft garage in July 1956. There are palnety of pictures of them, including (27) 701, and I'll try and source one or two for you when I've time.Tomorrow (Sunday) though I'm having a new computer installed with "Windows 8" so I may not be heard of for a while until I get used to its totally unfamiliar system.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

peterg

Post by peterg »

Thanks Blakey for your interest. Take your time, we bought a laptop for my wide with Windows 7 and I can't get around that yet.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

peterg wrote: Thanks Blakey for your interest. Take your time, we bought a laptop for my wide with Windows 7 and I can't get around that yet. Hope you don't mind me muscling in Blakey but I'm happy to point peterg in the right direction on your behalf. One of the right directions anyway. I am sure Blakey will have many more sources of information than this. I became aware of the site below during the 'Guinness clock' thread and there are two pictures of the elusive JUB727 on there.They are at.....http://www.sct61.org.uk/ld701and....htt ... /ld701aNot enough technical know-how to actually put those two (very good) photographs directly on here, but they include some good information on the bus.By the way, great to be back with you lot.

peterg

Post by peterg »

Thank you very much salt 'n pepper. The model hasn't reached me yet. I had hoped that it would arrive to-day but it was not so. Anyway, it will look better on my railway layout than the Atlantean I bought so as to have a double decker in LCT livery. I have downloaded the pictures for the record.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

salt 'n pepper wrote: peterg wrote: Thanks Blakey for your interest. Take your time, we bought a laptop for my wide with Windows 7 and I can't get around that yet. Hope you don't mind me muscling in Blakey but I'm happy to point peterg in the right direction on your behalf. One of the right directions anyway. I am sure Blakey will have many more sources of information than this. By the way, great to be back with you lot. You're not muscling in at all salt 'n pepper - your help is apppreciated I'm sure and you're very welcome back of course. ;D

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not read all of this (yet) but hope this of interesthttp://youtu.be/W-sdIvUh5zc

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

salt 'n pepper wrote: peterg wrote: Thanks Blakey for your interest. Take your time, we bought a laptop for my wide with Windows 7 and I can't get around that yet. Hope you don't mind me muscling in Blakey but I'm happy to point peterg in the right direction on your behalf. One of the right directions anyway. I am sure Blakey will have many more sources of information than this. I became aware of the site below during the 'Guinness clock' thread and there are two pictures of the elusive JUB727 on there.They are at.....http://www.sct61.org.uk/ld701and....htt ... /ld701aNot enough technical know-how to actually put those two (very good) photographs directly on here, but they include some good information on the bus.By the way, great to be back with you lot. @ salt n pepper- Are you a Taxi driver by any chance??
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]