Rawdon WW2 defences

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

blackprince wrote: It appears that he was so surprised at the reception he received when searchlights and the light ack-ack battery at Carlton crossroads opened up, closely followed by the heavy ack-ack at Adel, that he reported on his return that there must be something important in the area. Wow! where was the Adel gun emplacement??

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

The Parksider wrote: What a star you are sir- thanks for that!! You are more than welcome. I am now on a mission to locate the other AA battery, though I fear the cattery may be an obstacle.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Wow! where was the Adel gun emplacement??This should give you some idea.
Attachments
__TFMF_kegvptu2ygxvuf2w04hkhe45_7f92142a-b01b-4d10-9e79-25bb2e81bef8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kegvptu2ygxvuf2w04hkhe45_7f92142a-b01b-4d10-9e79-25bb2e81bef8_0_main.jpg (360.98 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

blackprince wrote: Wow! where was the Adel gun emplacement??This should give you some idea. Thanks very much, however the map is blurred on enlargement...

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Looks like Bedquilts to me.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Where did you get the site locations from blackprince? I installed the kmz from the site mentioned earlier but I don't see the guns marked.    

Si

Post by Si »

BarFly wrote: The Parksider wrote: What a star you are sir- thanks for that!! You are more than welcome. I am now on a mission to locate the other AA battery, though I fear the cattery may be an obstacle. I went to an open-day at the cattery a few years ago, and vaguely remember some huts on concrete bases. I don't know if they are of WWII vintage, or custom-built for the cats.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

BarFly wrote: Where did you get the site locations from blackprince? I installed the kmz from the site mentioned earlier but I don't see the guns marked.     Hi Barfly,Sorry for the delay in replying. I was away for a couple of weeks and when I got back this thread was no longer current.The file is UK WWII Defence Sites .kmzIt can be downloaded from Google earth groupsTopic title is UK WWII HAA and Decoy sitesTryhttps://productforums.google.com/forum/#!search/uk$20wwii/gec-military/1o3tYk98Xog/lR8JhuZuzfoJCheers,BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

The Parksider wrote: blackprince wrote: It appears that he was so surprised at the reception he received when searchlights and the light ack-ack battery at Carlton crossroads opened up, closely followed by the heavy ack-ack at Adel, that he reported on his return that there must be something important in the area. Wow! where was the Adel gun emplacement?? New pictures of Adel and Weetwood have been added to the "Britain From Above" website. They show the anti aircraft gun placement and the prefabs at Adel. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... od&ref=0If you are registered you can zoom into the area, and a lot more detail is visible than is apparent in the basic pictures.In the first picture, ( when zoomed in ) can be seen circular areas for the guns, a mound ( underground ordnance storage ? ) with possible anti blast entrance. There are also quite a lot of Nissen huts and maybe a circular static water tank all surrounded by what looks like a trench. More pictures of the area result from searches for "Adel" or "Weetwood".Where the gun placement was now stands Adel St. John the Baptist Primary School on Long Causeway, and the prefabs have been replaced with the Waylands housing estate.I also attach a map from the National Library of Scotland website, the three new labels are mine. The road on the right is Long Causeway, at the bottom St. Helens Lane, with Adel Lane and Otley Road on the left. Sadler Hall was demolished some years ago.Please click on the paperclip to see the full size map.        
Attachments
Gun Placement Adel.jpg
Gun Placement Adel.jpg (465.96 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Keg

Post by Keg »

I am a Rawdon resident and walk the hound over the billing most weeks at least 2-3 times but cannot recollect seeing the building or gun mounts. I thought I knew it all up there but obviously not. Please can someone tell me where they are exactly.The site near the crossroads at Carlton also had searchlights I believe.
Keg