Leeds Central Station car park

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

BIG N wrote: As someone who has spent many long periods of time going nowhere fast in the resultant gridlock around the station and Aire Street / Whitehall road can I just add that the problem is not entirely the result of the station itself.Let me try and explain, traffic for the station, both private cars and minicabs, arrives along Aire Street, drops off or picks up its passengers then departs again along Aire Street. Now, traffic heading for Wellington Street and out of the City is supposed to turn right into Thirsk Row and then left into Wellington Street and join the queue from there, however many drivers prefer to continue along Whitehall Road in a vain attempt to beat the traffic then make an illegal right turn into Northern Street to head for Wellington Street - this despite the junction of Whitehall Road and Northern Street being clearly marked as "no right turn".What then happens is the traffic attempting to turn right fails to leave enough room for traffic travelling along Whitehall Road to squeeze past, this soon backs up back to the roundabout outside the station entrance, its then only a very short matter of time before traffic is then queued all the way back to, and beyond Northern Street, and as we all know, they are incapable of leaving a gap at a junction when there is nowhere to go so this then prevents traffic from turning right both illegally into Northern Street and also legally into Thirsk Row.Of course, once this gridlock has brought Aire Street, Whitehall Road and of course the station car park itself to a standstill it then goes on to stop traffic leaving City Square which in turn blocks the bottom of Park Row and also brings the traffic flow under the dark arches to a standstill.One way of easing the situation would be fairly cheap and simple - placing an island in the middle of the Northern Street / Whitehall Road junction that prevents traffic from turning right there would stop the road being blocked by drivers attempting an illegal move. Ive never seen any signage saying No right turn from Whitehall Road onto Northern Street. AA route finder lets you make the turn. There is a "No left turn" sign on Wellington Street into Northern Street when travelling from City Square. Having said that i never go up Northern Street anyway,so may not have noticed it. Will look tomorrow
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

You can turn right from Whitehall Rd but not Left onto it from Wellington St. You shouldnt be able to though !

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

No,defo nothing to stop you turning right up Northern Street from Whitehall Road
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Not sure about the green space - but I think the building looks fantastic!! - love it.Is it just me??
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

drapesy wrote: Not sure about the green space - but I think the building looks fantastic!! - love it.Is it just me?? Unless you are being sarcastic, then I agree. Can't live in the past forever, much as I would have loved to see how Central Station used to look for real.     

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

not being sarcastic I promise.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

We may be talking cross purposes. The proposed scheme on the site of the old Central Station is ambitious and interesting:http://www.fcbstudios.com/projects.asp? ... oj=1339The block going up on the Queens Hall site is a box with some triangles stuck on the side. However it will probably be 'life expired' by the time HS2 get completed and we something nmore adventurous and intersting can go there as a 'fitting gateway' to the city.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: drapesy wrote: Not sure about the green space - but I think the building looks fantastic!! - love it.Is it just me?? Unless you are being sarcastic, then I agree. Can't live in the past forever, much as I would have loved to see how Central Station used to look for real.      The Green Space in that pic is on Sovereign Street,the old Queens Hall site