Briggate procession about what ??

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
uncle mick

Briggate procession about what ??

Post by uncle mick »

This has been on a few Leeds FB pages but no conclusive answers yet ???
Briggate Parade.jpg
Briggate Parade.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 7390 times

jma

Re: Briggate procession about what ??

Post by jma »

It seems Yorkshire Ryder operated in the decade from 1986 -1995 and I would date the livery of the police car to the early part of that period. There's no obvious sign of eg Leeds United scarves etc. I presume it's some sort of civic reception for a group whose members are not individually famous.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

I did a bit of research on this topic. The photograph was taken in Briggate in 1990 when Leeds United were promoted to the First Division under manager Howard Wilkinson. As a matter of interest, the four Police horses were called Speed, Portia, Saracen and Bleriot (I don’t know who the riders were but I could possibly find out). The Leeds United captain was Gordon Strachan who had been signed from Manchester United in 1989.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Thanks for the info Ian that had been suggested on the FB page but it looked sedate for a celebration

https://www.facebook.com/groups/leedsno ... 146443058/

jma

Post by jma »

This may be a clue to the identity of the jockeys, but it doesn't quote a date for the Brown Cow incident
Hello everyone I was 339 Dave Heeley joined 1969 stationed at Ireland Wood then Mounted section till we were caught drinking in the Brown Cow I was with Terry fletcher 427 Paul Dobson 901 and Wynn Foster Those were the days
viewtopic.php?p=122075&sid=8608b262ea00 ... db#p122075

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Similar picture from a different angle in 1990.
The city came together to celebrate Leeds United's promotion back to to the First Division after the club finished as champions of the Second Division on 85 points. Thousands lined the streets of the city centre to catch a glimpse of their heroes whom enjoyed a civic reception at Leeds Town Hall.
Attachments
QVNIMTIxMDgzNDEz.jpg
QVNIMTIxMDgzNDEz.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 7217 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

uncle mick wrote:
Fri 05 Aug, 2022 8:47 am
Thanks for the info Ian that had been suggested on the FB page but it looked sedate for a celebration

Just a thought, wouldn't most of the people on Briggate just be normal shoppers of people coming away from work. The majority of fans would be near the final destination for the "Balcony apperance" at the Town Hall.

I haven't quite worked out where the image found by BuffaloSkinner is. It looks wide enough to be the bottom of Cookridge Street but the stone building to the left isn't consistent. If it is in that vicinity the fans would be close enough to then follow on behind the Parade to the Town Hall
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Mon 08 Aug, 2022 8:35 am
uncle mick wrote:
Fri 05 Aug, 2022 8:47 am

Just a thought, wouldn't most of the people on Briggate just be normal shoppers of people coming away from work. The majority of fans would be near the final destination for the "Balcony apperance" at the Town Hall.

I haven't quite worked out where the image found by BuffaloSkinner is. It looks wide enough to be the bottom of Cookridge Street but the stone building to the left isn't consistent. If it is in that vicinity the fans would be close enough to then follow on behind the Parade to the Town Hall
Hi tyke bhoy and all :).

In the photo there is an AA sign for The British Art Show 1990 that was held at the Leeds Art Gallery, which might help in pinpointing the photo location. I also thought that might be Cookridge Street but if so the right pointing arrow confuses me unless traffic went both ways then on Cookridge Street and the parade may be going to the Civic Hall.
PS. I notice that a Blue and White Bazaar was being held. I've not heard of that Jewish event for a long while so I wonder if they are still held.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

On reflection I think the image is Calverley Street just up the hill past Great George Street. The Stonework behind the buses is on the north east corner of the Town Hall and the building on the near side of the buses is what until recently was O'Neils pub but was probably still a court building in 1990 before becoming the Felon and Firkin
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/