Wallace Arnold

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
volvojack

Re: Wallace Arnold

Post by volvojack »

What was the company that used to park coaches behind the garage opposite Leeds United's ground on Elland road. i remember there was only space for a few coaches

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi jack
stanley fallas coaches.
regards
sm1

Jeff Steeden

Post by Jeff Steeden »

Derek hurst wrote:
Thu 26 Feb, 2015 5:26 pm
I worked in the workshop at Wallace Arnold leeds from 1956 until 1973 I would like to get in touch with any of the workshop staff of that period.
Hi..I posted my memories on 17th July... I wasn't in the workshop I was in the cost office which overlooked the workshop, from 1970 to 1971.
I can only remember the reception staff and manager who was Terry Roberts and the Service Manager Reg Stead. But I do remember a black mechanic who was well regarded called Zeb. I hope this helps... it may jog memories of other names.

Andrew Jeffery

Post by Andrew Jeffery »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:04 am
Nice first post Jeff
[/quote

Lovely to see that someone remembers me.
I worked at WASS Hunslet Road, Thornton Road Bradford, York Road Leeds and Leeds Autocars 1967-77. Very happy memories.

Bluecrayford

Post by Bluecrayford »

Hi all,
Some great tales and memories on here 🙂

I have a bit of a mission I'm hoping someone may just be able to help with regarding the Hunslet Road site of WASS.

It's a massive long shot, but I'm trying to find out any history at all of two blue Viva HB GTs which were converted to Cabriolet by the company Crayford and sold by WASS from Hunslet Road.
I am lucky enough to own one of the GTs which were converted and am in touch with the guy who owns the other. Yes they both survive despite their habit of rusting away to nothing!

Apparently the Crayford company of the time didn't keep good records of the conversions or they have been lost to time.
So, we are hoping that someone who worked at Hunslet Road around 1967-70 may just remember these cars as they must have been quite unique for the time.
We are basically after anything at all which can help us trace their history. We don't even have definite dates when they were taken over to Cologne to be converted, but we do know that they were driven over as hard tops and driven back as Cabriolets.

We do have a salesmans name from around July 1969 of R.Munn?
As I say, very long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't find out and someone may just have the recollection we're looking for.

Many thanks in advance. Mark

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Bluecrayford welcome to S/L i hope someone on site can help you with your quest i am sorry i cant but i will keep my fingers crossed for you Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Bluecrayford

Post by Bluecrayford »

Good morning Sid,
Thank you for your reply. It is a long shot, but you never know. 🤞
All the best Mark

jim

Post by jim »

Your best bet might be to contact Leeds Transport Historical Society's website. Although the major part of their interests are LCC trams and buses,some of their members may be interested in private bus companies in the area.

Bluecrayford

Post by Bluecrayford »

Thank you. I'll give them a go. The more places I ask on the better 🙂👍

Jeff Steeden

Post by Jeff Steeden »

Andrew Jeffery wrote:
Mon 09 Aug, 2021 8:53 pm
buffaloskinner wrote:
Fri 17 Jul, 2020 9:04 am
Nice first post Jeff
[/quote

Lovely to see that someone remembers me.
I worked at WASS Hunslet Road, Thornton Road Bradford, York Road Leeds and Leeds Autocars 1967-77. Very happy memories.