Killingbeck Bridge

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Lookatleeds

Re: Killingbeck Bridge

Post by Lookatleeds »

My apologies, I can see that the bridge and tunnel are separate entities.
Interesting stuff though!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

GoodAfternoon B.P.
Before the Blocks of Flats were built on Wykbeck Valley Road more or less opposite the old Tram Terminus bottom of Gipton Approach were those small slag hills removed completely.? (That was our only place to play fooball on as Harehills Park was too far away.)
I was suprised and pleased to see something on line referred to "Monkey Bridge" is it a Leisure place or similar ?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow:

I don't recall any slagheaps on WYRd in the 50s, we used to walk from Selby Road down to the tram terminus at Gipton, plus the fact that the nearest pit was Killingbeck by Halton Deane.

Attached picture from 1955 shows just grass at the bottom.

:arrow:
Attachments
Gipton Tram.jpg
Gipton Tram.jpg (123.98 KiB) Viewed 8643 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks to B.P. and B.S. both for your posts and this picture brings back even more memories. as a schoolboy coming home this is where i would be standing on the platform ready to (alight) jump off as it gets to South Farm Road. As for the ground in view over on Wykebeck Valley Road we would have been delighted to play football on grass. but in the 1940s i clearly remember this sort of shale and mounds, we played fooball on there even when there was quite thick snow. football is quite tricky in wellington boots but my brother
and I really had no option. They would have had to clear the area to build the blocks of flats. So i am no wiser as to where this all came from unless there was some sort of mine workings before the Gipton Estate was built in the 1930s.