Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY
Posts: 2556
Joined: Mon 24 Mar, 2008 4:42 am

Postby BLAKEY » Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:38 am

[quotenick="majorhoundii I bought a book at the Heath Common bus event last year called "The Red Buses" which has good pictures of the AEC central entrance red buses that replaced the West Riding trams on the route to Leeds. Apparently for some reason not one of these unique buses has been preserved, which is a shame. One of the red centre entrance Regents was preserved in the 1960s, but unfortunately those who bought it were unable to find proper accommodation or finance, and it sadly went the way of many more to the scrapyard.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.
peterg
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 1:02 pm

Postby peterg » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 11:54 pm

Uno Hoo wrote:Blakey's on a European rail holiday at present, so I'll answer some of your points. Yorkshire Woollen had street termini in Queen Street for its services entering Leeds via Whitehall Road. These ran in via Wellington Street, then turned right into Queen Street. Outward journeys ran via St Paul's Street (or the next one along) and then into City Square before turning into Whitehall Road. My memory as a child and youth is that the Yorkshire Woollen services to Batley, Huddersfield, etc. ran into Aire Street after passing in front of the Queen's Hotel.
majorhoundii
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 6:55 am

Postby majorhoundii » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 10:25 am

peterg wrote: Uno Hoo wrote:Blakey's on a European rail holiday at present, so I'll answer some of your points. Yorkshire Woollen had street termini in Queen Street for its services entering Leeds via Whitehall Road. These ran in via Wellington Street, then turned right into Queen Street. Outward journeys ran via St Paul's Street (or the next one along) and then into City Square before turning into Whitehall Road. My memory as a child and youth is that the Yorkshire Woollen services to Batley, Huddersfield, etc. ran into Aire Street after passing in front of the Queen's Hotel. There were several services to Huddersfield, Batley, Birstall. They all went up Gelderd Road and through Gildersome - not one of them took the direct route to Gildersome Crossroads - I used to work on Gelderd Road - it was half a mile walk to the bus wherever you were going- to Gildersome Crossroads or Branch End or Gildersome Green.The Yorkshire Woollen 36 to Elland left from Sovereign Street - via Dewsbury Road and Morley, the no1 to Dewsbury and the no 16 to Overton also ran from Sovereign Street. The 55 run jointly with LCT ran from Sovereign Street to Bruntcliffe Crossroads where it turn around.
kenholway
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat 16 Jun, 2018 2:29 pm

Re:

Postby kenholway » Sat 16 Jun, 2018 2:33 pm

Phill_dvsn wrote:Here's a small bus station I'm struggling to place in Leedshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffordstead/5397824747/    

Bingo. I have been trying to find a pic of this

Its the bus station in New York street on the corner of Cross York street where the coop is now, where the west riding tram replacement buses went from. they were painted red, rather than the standard green. One service was the 10 to kettlethorpe. (Now 110 from the main bus station)

sorry if someone has already identified it.

The church tower in the background is Leeds Parish Church in Kirkgate

kenholway
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat 16 Jun, 2018 2:29 pm

Re:

Postby kenholway » Sat 16 Jun, 2018 2:34 pm

Phill_dvsn wrote:Here's a small bus station I'm struggling to place in Leedshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffordstead/5397824747/    

Bingo. I have been trying to find a pic of this

Its the bus station in New York street on the corner of Cross York street where the coop is now, where the west riding tram replacement buses went from. they were painted red, rather than the standard green. One service was the 10 to kettlethorpe. (Now 110 from the main bus station)

sorry if someone has already identified it.

The church tower in the background is Leeds Parish Church in Kirkgate
stephenmgill1950
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri 06 Sep, 2019 4:54 am

Re: Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Postby stephenmgill1950 » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Remember that one, pasted on my way to work on Wellington Street 1965, remember the Crowe building next door. I workerd for BR at 39 Wellington St. and recall seeing mostly out of town buses here, being reversed in of the main road!!! Also the "other " bus station was on (poss New York Road/St next to ice house) caught this one to Wakefield so think we called it the West Riding bus station. Thing that i remember most was how they got in and out of these tight places!!! After working for LCT for 25 years i got to KNOW how you did it.
w41tzer
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Postby w41tzer » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 2:52 am

not sure if anyones answered phils post on page 1, expect so by now but just in case, its the Rothwell bus station for nos 18 and 19 I think on that curved centre rank, the left hand wall on the picture which is on another building and rather unusually tiled like a bathroom with white polished tiles is still there now, often catch sight of it and think back to looking up at it whilst waiting for the bus home with my mum all those years ago, where is it? well stand with your back to the market building that houses cars and look across to that modern building with the little supermarket in and look above and to the left and you will see the tiled wall, busses came in under the railway arch behind the pub on bottom of eastgate
volvojack
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Re:

Postby volvojack » Sat 28 Sep, 2019 8:24 am

kenholway wrote:
Sat 16 Jun, 2018 2:34 pm
Phill_dvsn wrote:Here's a small bus station I'm struggling to place in Leedshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffordstead/5397824747/    

Bingo. I have been trying to find a pic of this

Its the bus station in New York street on the corner of Cross York street where the coop is now, where the west riding tram replacement buses went from. they were painted red, rather than the standard green. One service was the 10 to kettlethorpe. (Now 110 from the main bus station)

sorry if someone has already identified it.

The church tower in the background is Leeds Parish Church in Kirkgate


That picture shows a bilding "Modern Floorcovering Co, we had moved from North St. and when we wanted sandwiwiches etc. we crossed that bus station to a small cafe and unless i am mistaken that area was completely blank. the red buses used it but don't think there were any lines for customers to stand.






Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests