Old houses on preservation orders

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Opposite the Crown on Crown Point road and on CPR/Sheaf St. and Hunslet Rd triangle are a series of houses that I think have a preservation order on them.yearly they deteriorate, yearly some sort of protection is cobbled up but nothing happens.they are not Houses that represent power, wealth, privelige etc. the sort of stuff they are always preserving to my annoyance, but they are industrial housing special for some sort of reason - can anyone shed any light?Before the boom in industrial housing many old working class houses were built around courts. The last I knew about was sussex court i think on sussex st/upper accom. Rd junction.I hoped someone who felt history belonged to ordinary people as much as to the priveliged would have thought to preserve the last houses from a period of leeds history.Sadly it dissappeared. The next wave of social housing were the back to backs. Eventually declared unhealthy millions were knocked down around the country. My wife was at Nottingham Poly where the history lecturer told the class that back to backs were old victorian hosuing that were unhealthy hence thay have all been knocked down now!!! the Leeds contingent laughed.Anyone know the oldest back to backs in Leeds, or if any pre-back to backs still exist? I think Wharfe St has a couple of pre-back to backs next to the civic society book shop???

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The Parksider wrote: Opposite the Crown on Crown Point road and on CPR/Sheaf St. and Hunslet Rd triangle are a series of houses that I think have a preservation order on them.yearly they deteriorate, yearly some sort of protection is cobbled up but nothing happens.they are not Houses that represent power, wealth, privelige etc. the sort of stuff they are always preserving to my annoyance, but they are industrial housing special for some sort of reason - can anyone shed any light?Before the boom in industrial housing many old working class houses were built around courts. The last I knew about was sussex court i think on sussex st/upper accom. Rd junction.I hoped someone who felt history belonged to ordinary people as much as to the priveliged would have thought to preserve the last houses from a period of leeds history.Sadly it dissappeared. The next wave of social housing were the back to backs. Eventually declared unhealthy millions were knocked down around the country. My wife was at Nottingham Poly where the history lecturer told the class that back to backs were old victorian hosuing that were unhealthy hence thay have all been knocked down now!!! the Leeds contingent laughed.Anyone know the oldest back to backs in Leeds, or if any pre-back to backs still exist? I think Wharfe St has a couple of pre-back to backs next to the civic society book shop??? I would not say they are not industrial housing in the "Saltaire sense",far too ornate and grand for that purpose.Probably housing on a par with what you see in Chapeltown. Back to back houses were a massive improvement on the rubbish the previous low at heel generations had lived in,but these are not of the same mould.The houses you mention seem to have been built for the rising middle classes of the 19th century,who may have been employed in the many factories/foundries etc of the area,but whos inhabitants were members of the higher social order,middle management.Have another look at them (the houses), they are ceratinly not houses that represent power wealth and privelage,neither do they represent the everyday working man of the time,they are the middle mans house,the middle classes,despised by both the wealthy and by the poor.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

On Hight court, opposite Wharfe St. the grey buildings with the pinkish window frames are the last lot of Georgian workers houses left in Leeds.Not sure if they have any preservation orders on them but they are certaily the oldest within the original city boundry. Sheaf Street area houses were built to house the middle classes that were working in the area at the time. They are certainly more grandiose than working class houses would have been at the time. South Leeds has some of the oldest back to backs in the country as does Harehills although built slightly later. Pics attached of Sheaf Street
Attachments
__TFMF_df54rp55rgest3vlvgof4bj1_21a4308e-6e25-4c72-afa3-2acd5cc38318_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_df54rp55rgest3vlvgof4bj1_21a4308e-6e25-4c72-afa3-2acd5cc38318_0_main.jpg (392.53 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

cnosni wrote: [Have another look at them (the houses), they are ceratinly not houses that represent power wealth and privelage,neither do they represent the everyday working man of the time,they are the middle mans house,the middle classes,despised by both the wealthy and by the poor.     Thanks CNOSNI I know the houses aren't rich people's houses, I'm trying to kinda say that why shouldn't the poor mans house be preserved for posterity!I thought you final part of your final paragraph was a super quote!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: On Hight court, opposite Wharfe St. the grey buildings with the pinkish window frames are the last lot of Georgian workers houses left in Leeds.Not sure if they have any preservation orders on them but they are certaily the oldest within the original city boundry. Sheaf Street area houses were built to house the middle classes that were working in the area at the time. They are certainly more grandiose than working class houses would have been at the time. South Leeds has some of the oldest back to backs in the country as does Harehills although built slightly later. Pics attached of Sheaf Street I am deeply indebted to you - thanks!I did go to High Court Lane knowing it was a very old area but was unsure of the exact loaction and use of the oldest buildings. Now I have the fix "pink window frames" how can I miss them!!!The houses on Wharfe street I cannot date - maybe between Georgian and Victorian. You never hear of anything being classed as Williamian so I'll go for that!!As for housing being built for middle classes who worked alongside working classes and were housed alongside them, then I can see why these houses are kind of special.I do think I once saw something about the being Foremens houses sort of thing. I wonder who actually built them for which industry??Maybe instead of a company car you got a company house.I don't think they are "exclusive" as I recall a works managers house on Clarence Road, but they certainly are unusual. A window to the past I can associate with unlike the Town hall!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: South Leeds has some of the oldest back to backs in the country. Name and shame!!As an officianado of all things Hunslet I am intrigued as to where the oldest may be? Between the Blooming Rose and Dewsbury Road are a few old 'uns, the houses on Nursery mount are old but I don't think that old?? There's the odd end shop or pub left with a back to back behind - The Mulberry?Er anything around Hunslet Lake - a few really old back to backs there? Odd oldie up Pepper road??I'd love to know!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Parksider, I'm sure that it was in a book somewhere that this was mentioned. I cant remember exactly where they are though. I'm trying to work out of there are any of the Georgian houses similar to those where Rockingham street was before they built the Merrion Centre. Pic attached, I think they are great, although my grandpa apprenticed in one of them inthe 1920's and he tells me that they were largely workshops by then...
Attachments
__TFMF_quj5oh45nnmofrbgbadb5ris_9dc7dda4-22d1-4878-997e-e1082526db56_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_quj5oh45nnmofrbgbadb5ris_9dc7dda4-22d1-4878-997e-e1082526db56_0_main.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

AUSSIEPOM

Post by AUSSIEPOM »

As a boy growing up on Neville during the late 1940's one of my pleasures was to visit the little library at the bottom of Neville Road almost opposite Corpus Christi Church. I think the library has now been moved but I wonder what became of the building or the site where the library used to beMike
mIKE

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: On Hight court, opposite Wharfe St. the grey buildings with the pinkish window frames are the last lot of Georgian workers houses left in Leeds. I went there today and the row is made of old handmade bricks but has been rendered to protect the brick. Not sure if there have been alterations, but as you stand there theres also a bit of an old alley and you are looking through a bit of a window into the past. The Georgian houses are boarded up but I think "BLUESTONE" have a board up saying it will be a development. Wether they will rennovate (How I hope they do) or pull down - well anyone know??

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

And after that....Off to see the old houses at Cad Beeston.Find yourself Cad Beeston mews and go in there or go in the car park of beeston manor and there you'll see a stunning timber frames house of particular vintage."Parts" go back many years in the row, I just wonder when that timber framed house was put up. Well worth a visit - an absolute stunner.Sorry I can't take pics, and download for you all.Technophobe dontchA know?