The old friends meeting house

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
polos

The old friends meeting house

Post by polos »

I'm sure most people on here are aware that the new hs2 train thing will demolish asda house.
Does anyone know if anyone will look into where the old graveyard would have been or is there any authority that cares to look into it?
Just on the corner where asda hq is now is a very old site that used to be a graveyard as is mentioned in Thoresbys diary.
I'm just curious if the relevant powers that be know of its significance if they are to rip up the area?

polos

Re: The old friends meeting house

Post by polos »

I'm so sorry to cause confusion for anyone that can't find my sources but I'm very sure there is a graveyard that needs investigating on that corner and it was very old by Thoresbys recognition at the time he mentioned it. Imagine how old it was at the time he found broken gravestones etc.
This was somewhere between 1650-1750 and he at that time mentioned very old graves broken and such. It would be a waste to not investigate and I hope someone can help because I'm useless at this stuff

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I would imagine that any graves there would have been moved when Asda HQ was built as it was built on the top of it

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The very interesting thing is that there seems to have been two meeting houses, one as shown on the c1890 earlier map, and an earlier one shown on the 1850 map , on a site in 1890 marked warehouse.
map c1850 leeds showing quaker meeting hous.jpg
map c1850 leeds showing quaker meeting hous.jpg (222.84 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
map c1890 leeds showing quaker meeting house.jpg
map c1890 leeds showing quaker meeting house.jpg (635.65 KiB) Viewed 8776 times