Oldest Roads

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: Jogon wrote: Bradford Uni has been conducting a long term dig at the site of a Roman Fort south of Golden Acre Park.I often visit. where abouts is that site please? Pre war the OS maps mark the site of the Fort just by adel mill and up the lane on the dirt track to high leas just before the main road forks, it marks "roman remains found".Post war the maps don't mention a fort, but do mark "ancient earthwork", and up the road they mark "Romano british settelement"The last OS map on line marks nothing at either location????Anyone got the latest thinking of the archeologists on this matter??

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Parksider.I have passed that area near Adel Mill several times in recent years and never spotted anything, though in my defence I did not know to look there! Mind you I would make a rubbish archaeologist, as for example just a few years back I was at a site near the Cow & Calf Rocks (Ilkley) where there was some early work going on. On chatting to an helpful archaeologist he pointed out to me where there were some earthworks, but I still could not really spot anything different to the surrounding area! It takes a trained eye I guess.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo hiSort of sensitive cos of thefts.Not where discussed and don't know how to do confidential not public stuff on here.I also live nearby and happy to take a tour.

liits

Post by liits »

Leodian, here's a link to the National Monuments "Pastscape" site.Have a look at Monument No. 51598.