Oldest Roads

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

does ermine street pass our way??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Cyclotron

Post by Cyclotron »

Leeds Lass wrote: I grew up on Tinshill Lane and used to walk up to school at Holt Park every day. I didn't take much interest at the time, but Farrar Lane, that runs down from the top of Tinshill Lane, into the Holt Park estate, is an old Roman road. I remember them closing it off to through traffic in the mid 70's, by putting horrendous grey bollards at the top and bottom of it. Does anyone know if there has ever been any archaeology or studies done on it? Surely somone would have done some research into Leeds' oldest thoroughfare? Hi Leeds Lass, YES, I'm positive Farrar Lane is as old as the hillsI remember a survey made in the seventies by a bearded professor, I think the idea was that Farrar Lane was a palaeolithic road, if you notice , as you go down from Tinshill Top towards posh Adel, there must be thirty or more small (100 kilogram) ancient waystones on the right hand side of the path , all down the right of the lane. It's not quite a henge, I can't work out if/where the earthworks would have been, but think back to Yorkshire in 10,000 BC and the path could have been an important route. I never saw the results of the survey. Should Time Team be informed? They might have to dig through the new PFI school playground which hopefully hasn't totalled TOO many of these ancient stones. Many of them are buried and have been ignored/lost for years in the shrubbery.The Roman Army camp , as I recall, was more in Bramhope towards Pool Bank, there's a tiny row of shops, actually on Breary Lane, near to "Camp Road" bit of a giveaway? or this maybe referring to the navvie camp for building the Bramhope/Arthington rail tunnel!Don't forget too about the cup-stones found near Yeadon Airport link http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6357/not Palaeolithic but megalithic/neolithic probablyI wandered around High Farm (actually a Farm) chasing horses in the 1960's well before ASDA and even was invited to tea by the dour farmer once.David, from Tinshill Lane

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: does ermine street pass our way?? Twixt garforth and Micklefield Sir.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: does ermine street pass our way?? Twixt garforth and Micklefield Sir. That has to be the road that runs North from Castleford past Allerton Bywater and Peckfield then. South it crosses the Aire at Castleford, and continues past Glasshoughton and Ponte until it meets the A1 at Barnsdale Bar - Robin Hoods Well.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Hector

Post by Hector »

I've always thought that many of our older roads follow long established routes possibly from pre history. I have wondered about Osmondthorpe Lane, down Harehills Lane, onto Potternewton Lane and then across the top down Sugarwell Hill, to the bottom, you then have a footpath leading up Woodhouse Ridge to a ginnel which brings you out near to Otley Road.When I used to live near Potternewton Park (Harehills Lane) I used this route to walk to the John Taylor Teacher Centre, which of course was very close to the Original Oak, under which the Saxon wapentake was supposed to have met.    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Letty wrote: HiHave 'known' about the Roman road in Westbrook for years. Local folklore! It is supposed to run from the top of St Margarets Road. A narrow footpath with tall hedges either side. The path may even be part of the Leeds Way now. It has some pretty big stones on the floor and it leads up to the woods at the top of Hunger Hills. There goes another local tale.... The school is supposedly built on top of mine which collapsed killing those who were down there. and as ever there's ghosts! Hunger Hills was also amazing for sledging down many years ago when we had snow! There were five coal mines on Hunger Hills and the causey stones in Lee Lane are probably from around 1800. The "Roman Road" is more likely a coal road, and yes miners were buried alive in one of the pits. The last pit to be seen is in a field opposite the end of Lee Lane west, where strawberry's usd to be grown.

hotlypursued

Post by hotlypursued »

According to some of the eighteenth century researchers there was a Roman road running from Leeds to Morley that skirted around the bottom of Beeston Hill - has anyone got information on this?
;-)

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bradford Uni has been conducting a long term dig at the site of a Roman Fort south of Golden Acre Park.I often visit.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Bradford Uni has been conducting a long term dig at the site of a Roman Fort south of Golden Acre Park.I often visit. Assuming its location is not meant to be secret, where abouts is that site please? Golden Acre Park is not that far from where I live and I occasionally walk there, so I would pass by, or near to, a site that is south of the park.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: Jogon wrote: Bradford Uni has been conducting a long term dig at the site of a Roman Fort south of Golden Acre Park.I often visit. Assuming its location is not meant to be secret, where abouts is that site please? Golden Acre Park is not that far from where I live and I occasionally walk there, so I would pass by, or near to, a site that is south of the park. Go past Adel Church, down the dip to Adel beck at Adel Mills and as you walk up the rise first field on the left has a line of earthworks.For the exact location on paper go on Old maps and pinpoint adel mills and stream where it meets the lane, bring up the older detailed maps and it will show you the camp (I think rather than fort??) in very good detail - so good you won't miss it.......Look forward to a piccy!!