Oldest Roads

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Letty

Post by Letty »

HiHave 'known' about the Roman road in Westbrook for years. Local folklore! It is supposed to run from the top of St Margarets Road. A narrow footpath with tall hedges either side. The path may even be part of the Leeds Way now. It has some pretty big stones on the floor and it leads up to the woods at the top of Hunger Hills. There goes another local tale.... The school is supposedly built on top of mine which collapsed killing those who were down there. and as ever there's ghosts! Hunger Hills was also amazing for sledging down many years ago when we had snow!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Jeez, while I was mentioning Farrar Lane to someone, I had a nasty flashback. Funnily enough!!! I was flashed at on there when I was about 8!!! Wonder if that's why they closed it off?!!!

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Martyn wrote: There was a Roman Garrison somwhere towards Moortown. The path in Meanwood Woods that starts at the end of Green Road and goes up to the ring road was a Roman 'Harrigate' or soldiers path. I reckon that this could have joined up with what is now Adel Lane at the ring road and Adel Lane continues up to join the end of Farrar Lane.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 29&t=hHave a look at;http://www.arch.wyjs.org.uk/AdvSrv/inde ... /leeds.htm....... Yeh a road in Moortown goes all the way back to the Roman era. It's called Street Lane if anyone knows it and runs all the way up to soldiers fields at roundhay. Note how the street is pretty much straight in most parts for the horse and carts.
Simon -H-

nickgj

Post by nickgj »

this isnt completely relevant to the thread topic but it does have to do with the direction it is heading in. some1 talked of an old roman garrison somewhere near moortow, well over the last few months there has been works taking place behind Allerton High School and a dig is scheduled to start at sometime in the not too distant future. the archeologists working on it beleive they may have found what was either a fully fledged roman garrison camp or a marching camp for soldiers on their way to ro from ebauracum (spelling?). and as in the above post this is not far at all from king lane, just the otherside of a valley really.

TomD

Post by TomD »

thats pretty impressive! i went to school there for a couple of years, and went to alwoodley primary over the road before that!incidently, and apologies for getting further off topic, in alwoodley primary i had a teacher called Steve Burt... one of the co-authors of "The Illustrated History of Leeds"... top fact!

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Of course there's Long Causeway at Adel. That has s Roman pathway on it (not strictly a road tho). Roman Ridge Road definately follows the course of the old great north road from Cas to probably Tadcaster.I had also before heard that Street Lane was Roman. Although not as far back as those, Briggate would be the oldest street in the city centre, going back to the medieval times.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Ian R P wrote: Briggate would be the oldest street in the city centre, going back to the medievil times. Actually, Kirgate is the oldest street in the modern city of Leeds
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

simonm wrote: Ian R P wrote: Briggate would be the oldest street in the city centre, going back to the medievil times. Actually, Kirgate is the oldest street in the modern city of Leeds In the center, perhaps - but Old Lain in Beeston is the oldest street in Leeds.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

morleyman

Post by morleyman »

Where i live in Morley Rooms Lane was orinally Roman Lane that must be quite old.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Scandy Bramley wrote: simonm wrote: Ian R P wrote: Briggate would be the oldest street in the city centre, going back to the medievil times. Actually, Kirgate is the oldest street in the modern city of Leeds In the center, perhaps - but Old Lain in Beeston is the oldest street in Leeds. The origins of the "city" of Leeds started back around the, what is now, Parish Church. A small temple stood around where the PC is now and a small village adjacent to it. This was pre Doomsday book! A small lane sprung away fro mthe village and settlers built along it. The street name - Kirkgate. Therefore, the oldest in Leeds!! If a street in a small viallage of beeston, a few miles south is older, then fair enough, but in Leeds, it's kirkgate!! Remember, were talking pre doomsday. Any other road / street in the surrounding hills / miles wasn't technically in Leeds / leodis / ledes etc. Only the modern urban sprawl has meant the integration of such places!! So I suppose by that standard, your right!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"