Family History

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Liverpool,who also celebrated their 800th anniversary,held a competition to see who could trace their family back the furthest in Liverpool.Ive got mine coming to Leeds,Woodhouse specifically,around 1730.Now i know for a fact that this is not particularly early so does any one else go back further or have they researched their trees and found that they hail from Leeds for a good few generations?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

cnosni wrote: Liverpool,who also celebrated their 800th anniversary,held a competition to see who could trace their family back the furthest in Liverpool.Ive got mine coming to Leeds,Woodhouse specifically,around 1730.Now i know for a fact that this is not particularly early so does any one else go back further or have they researched their trees and found that they hail from Leeds for a good few generations? It may not be tho oldest in Leeds but it will take a lot of beating . The ancesters of the overwhelming majority of present-day citizens of Leeds came to the city from 1850 onwards .My great-grandfather came to Leeds between 1851 [ when the census shows him living in Liverpool ] and 1857 when the marriage register shows that he married in Leeds Parish Church .His wife was baptised in the same church twenty years earlier but she would have been part of a minority of the population of the city in 1861 .
roundhegian

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

roundhegian wrote: cnosni wrote: Liverpool,who also celebrated their 800th anniversary,held a competition to see who could trace their family back the furthest in Liverpool.Ive got mine coming to Leeds,Woodhouse specifically,around 1730.Now i know for a fact that this is not particularly early so does any one else go back further or have they researched their trees and found that they hail from Leeds for a good few generations? It may not be tho oldest in Leeds but it will take a lot of beating . The ancesters of the overwhelming majority of present-day citizens of Leeds came to the city from 1850 onwards .My great-grandfather came to Leeds between 1851 [ when the census shows him living in Liverpool ] and 1857 when the marriage register shows that he married in Leeds Parish Church .His wife was baptised in the same church twenty years earlier but she would have been part of a minority of the population of the city in 1861 . What do you mean by the minority,was she an Irish migrant?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

anyone else doing their family history?I thought it would be ok to do it but i realised that it is a lot more than that,you find out not only about your own history and roots but also about how events in the past probably influenced ancestors lives and consequently your own.I have learnt a heck of a lot more since i started it,the local studies room at the Central Library is a goldmine,some of the stuff in there would make Phil_d perform cartwheels!

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

cnosni wrote: roundhegian wrote: cnosni wrote: Liverpool,who also celebrated their 800th anniversary,held a competition to see who could trace their family back the furthest in Liverpool.Ive got mine coming to Leeds,Woodhouse specifically,around 1730.Now i know for a fact that this is not particularly early so does any one else go back further or have they researched their trees and found that they hail from Leeds for a good few generations? It may not be tho oldest in Leeds but it will take a lot of beating . The ancesters of the overwhelming majority of present-day citizens of Leeds came to the city from 1850 onwards .My great-grandfather came to Leeds between 1851 [ when the census shows him living in Liverpool ] and 1857 when the marriage register shows that he married in Leeds Parish Church .His wife was baptised in the same church twenty years earlier but she would have been part of a minority of the population of the city in 1861 . What do you mean by the minority,was she an Irish migrant? Sorry - what I meant to write was that as some one born in Leeds to parents born in Leeds she was probably in a minority in 1857 . If not then ten years later she would have been .
roundhegian

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

I wouldnot say that was the case,the population in Leeds in 1851 was estimated at 172,270,just around the beginnings of the Irish immigrations.By 1871 it had increased to 259,212 so though there was a sizeable increase in population it still meant that the vast majority of people born in Leeds would have been the descendants of Loiners,albeit maybe some had been Loiners for only a few generations.The poulation in 1841 was 152,024 and this was certainly well before the mass immigration that was experienced from Ireland and therefore still points to a sizeable "Native" population in 1851.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

spent a mint doing mine,some years ago.i can go back to a.d 1030,unfortunatly we were only in leeds from 1805,seems we left thornthwaite at the time of the industrial revolution,as did many others.we had lived in thornthwaite since coming from normandy in 1066....but thats not leeds is it.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: spent a mint doing mine,some years ago.i can go back to a.d 1030,unfortunatly we were only in leeds from 1805,seems we left thornthwaite at the time of the industrial revolution,as did many others.we had lived in thornthwaite since coming from normandy in 1066....but thats not leeds is it. It is since 1805,thats good enough in my book.Really its irrelevant how long a family has been here,i just think its very interesting to be able to say that this has been part of my families hame for quite a few generations.Well wiggy considering that you have traced you family back that far then i assume that your avavtar is a portrait of an ancestor!

OzzieJoan

Post by OzzieJoan »

Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to this site and have lived in Australia since 1971. I can trace one branch of my ancestors back to James DEAN b.Woodhouse Carr 1761. He and his wife Margaret had 6 children to my knowledge, the eldest being Samuel b.1787 my 3 x gt.grandfather. Now comes the request Is there anyone on this List who would be able to access records of marriages performed at St.Mark's Church, Woodhouse, please? As yet (7 years) I have been unable to track down the marriage of Samuel to an Alice whose maiden name I don't know. Alice DEAN died Q4 1850 so didn't appear on any census other than 1841, which isn't as helpful as the later ones. The death was registered Leeds ref:23/322.Knowing when and where she died, is there anyone who has access to cemetery records which might help, please. I also have a 3 x gt.grandfather in a different line of DEANs who was b.1792 Woodhouse, he married Esther MORTIMER b.1798 Birstall. I do hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction.Cheers,OzzieJoan
Looking for my MORTIMER and DEAN [email protected]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Jean, try this http://www.yorkshirebmd.info/marrcov.html#ceit says it covers all marriages at St Marks from 1837 - 1948 but unfortunately Samuel would have to have been 50+ to be included
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/