Leeds 800th Anniversary celebrations,or lack of.

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

mmm sounds good LS1 but what can you do to please everyone? I think maybe a special programme about Leeds through the ages, Industrial revolution, War years, Revie glory days & the 81 riots e.t.c all knocked together might have been good shown on yorkshire day with a few celebrations... but one mans garden party is another mans reason to stay out of the way in the pub all day i suppose! I was thinking it might have been a good idea to try get some sponsors to pay for the old painted adverts on the gable ends restored. Pick about 10 of the best, Do them up & get people in Leeds to do a spot the sign location competition with whatever prizes they wanna give! It might not be fireworks & champagne stuff but it would have been a bit of fun for the kids & would have saved some of our heritage before it peels off & dissapears for good! I'm sure our very own Tetleys would have stumped up a few quid for the paint! The light night thing in October looks pretty good tho!
Attachments
__TFMF_ozcm1t551lx12t45gf0guk55_224eb74b-44c0-42f7-82d1-8a15f3dca53b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ozcm1t551lx12t45gf0guk55_224eb74b-44c0-42f7-82d1-8a15f3dca53b_0_main.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Problem is, Phill, Tetley now belongs to a certain Danish conglomerate - who ( whilst they think 'Tetley' is a useful "brand" that they can push to Rugby-types,) find the Hunslet Brewery, Mild, Shire Horses, real ale etc are all a bit too much trouble and not very cost effective. As for the Huntsman, well he's been retired - not very 'p.c.'.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

As always is the case Drapsey! still we'll call the Fforde Greene just that & not the din buildings eh mate?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

drapesy wrote: Problem is, Phill, Tetley now belongs to a certain Danish conglomerate - who ( whilst they think 'Tetley' is a useful "brand" that they can push to Rugby-types,) find the Hunslet Brewery, Mild, Shire Horses, real ale etc are all a bit too much trouble and not very cost effective. As for the Huntsman, well he's been retired - not very 'p.c.'. Lets just say (after a bit of research) - that Carlsberg simply invested into the conglomerate that is Tets these days. The fact that the plonkers from Allied (who actually owned Tets back then, along with bloody Double Diamond) were on their uppers at the time is the reason Carlsberg invested....REAL Tets hasn't been around for a couple of generations - ask Arry or SimonM....Allied are the culprits - NOT Carlsberg....who still produce the best lager in Western Europe.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

There's quite a good exhibition of large info boards and photos outside the Art Gallery/Museum/Library celebrating Leeds 800 years.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

oldleedsman wrote: There's quite a good exhibition of large info boards and photos outside the Art Gallery/Museum/Library celebrating Leeds 800 years. Yeah saw em setting it up on sunday night,it was in Millenium Square before the German market arrived.There was a bit in the YEP tonight regarding the "Celebrations",which needles to say is a very limited article.What a shame,still theres a chance our descendants may do a better job for the 900th anniversary.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

cnosni wrote: oldleedsman wrote: There's quite a good exhibition of large info boards and photos outside the Art Gallery/Museum/Library celebrating Leeds 800 years. Yeah saw em setting it up on sunday night,it was in Millenium Square before the German market arrived.There was a bit in the YEP tonight regarding the "Celebrations",which needles to say is a very limited article.What a shame,still theres a chance our descendants may do a better job for the 900th anniversary. They were still at it on monday morning, I was watching them from the bus stop opposite!! well there's not much else to watch at 6:45 am in Leeds is there!!
Love a Landrover

Si

Post by Si »

Bus stop? What happened to the Range Rover?

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

gone but not forgotten Si! it's a long story mate!
Love a Landrover

Si

Post by Si »

I hope it was the suspension and not an accident, mate!