Horsforth, Leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
paulmoore

Post by paulmoore »

Hi All,As far as I am aware, there's a Roman pathway at the top of the small hill behind the Sport's Centre at Leeds Trinity University College in Horsforth. I was a student there from 1973 to 1976 and we often used to walk up there to take a look. The pathway is definitely there, but whether it is a Roman pathway is another question. Does anyone have any info on this?Interestingly, that part of Horsforth is know as Troy.All the best,Paul

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Paul, I know the track you mean that leads down from the back of Trinity and All Saints (now know as Leeds Trinity University College!) down to Lee Lane. I've heard that the rumours of the causey stone paved track being of Roman origin is a myth and its more likely that the track was paved as it was used as a route to transport coal from the old coal pits that were on Hunger Hills which is the top of the hill overlooking Horsforth at the rear of Trinity and All Saints college. The area of Horsforth known as Troy is actually a little furthur down past the end of Brownberrie Lane - the area between the Queens Pub and Horsforth Railway Station, not really a large area.Hope this helps answer your question!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

paulmoore

Post by paulmoore »

Hi Jon,Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message. You are right about Troy being situated lower down. I should have been more precise. Horsforth was my home for many years (during and after my studies at TASC), and I know it very well. As for the 'Roman' pathway being only a myth, it would be great if I could find solid evidence either way. What you say makes sense, but all myths have a certain degree of fact in them. The Romans were in that part of the country, so there's still a possibility that they built a pathway (or road) up there. Does anyone know for certain?Best regards,Paul

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Isn't there an old packhorse route across the "Hunger Hills" behind the college? I'm only guessing that's what it is in the woods because it looks like the ones in Calverley Wood.Where exactly is this "Roman Road"?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Hi paulWelcome.I only know the Alwoodley>Adel> to None Goe Bye Farm.So, cannot help with your Horsforth Roman bit. This earlier thread may be of interest.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ht=1Here's the google Parkway visible bit. http://goo.gl/maps/ewABhZooming out matches up correctly with the Adel Roman Villa nearby.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sorry not clear
Attachments
__TFMF_grqapvmmfpipcg550ef0tei4_b0cb03fa-68c6-4a98-9f8b-0733b8bb10dc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_grqapvmmfpipcg550ef0tei4_b0cb03fa-68c6-4a98-9f8b-0733b8bb10dc_0_main.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 4134 times